Vallejo Surface Primer

A

Awins

Does anyone else seem to suffer with this primer blocking up your airbrush during use. I think its a wonderful primer once applied but cricky it can be a bugger to use.

I've tried going up a needle size, adding 40% Vallejo airbrush thinner even increased the air pressure but it still seems to happen.

Any thoughts or ideas as to how to solve this.

Cheers

J

John Rixon

Lots of reports of this happening, including me! However, some folks love it, go figure! My take on this whole Vallejo thing is discussed here, Ive been checking a few of my bottles, and it makes sense that when we shake it up, we deposit paint, and solids into the nozzle area, ready to squirt into our airbrushes... Remember, once any amount of acrylic paint starts to cure (and any residue of paint hanging around the nozzle, exposed to air WILL start to cure) , it will never go back to its liquid state, it might remain semi cured because it is floating around in more paint, (the reviled "worm" of paint). My regime, although a bit long winded, is explained in that thread, and, so far, has worked in trials!!! Myself, I will slowly replace my Model Air with Lifecolor as I run out, as it has a more sensible lid. Okay, I'll have to use a dropper, but I'll know its all liquid paint going in:smiling3:.

N.B. Even a screw top lid will need careful use, not to let any of the gunk that can collect around the rim of ANY paint tin / bottle.

F

Fenlander

I never had issues with it and still get on fairly well with the coloured primers, Russian Green, Bronze green and the sand coloured one. Black not too bad but grey and white I cannot use anymore. I can only assume that they have broken down a bit with age ...... happens to us all:sad:

Got some of the Badger stuff on order to try out but, by all accounts needs thinning with IPA so ordered some of that to.

T

TonyBv9

I watched an official Vallejo tutorial on Youtube, and the guy recommended removing the tip/nozzle of the brush so you can wipe the needle occasionally with a cotton bud dipped in cleaner. I did this just now with grey primer, and it worked fine.

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
I've even had problems with the badger stuff until I read on here someone thins it with tamiya thinners gave it a try and so far so good haven't tried ipa yet though the Vallejo primer is a nightmare to spray keeps clogging

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Used some surface primer at weekend without any troubles, just keep a 'ear bud' Q-tip handy with some cleaner on it.