Vallejo

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Hi guys when using Vallejo paint I get a lot of tip drying I thinned it to 2 to 1 but after a few mins spraying it starts to block any tip or tricks appreciated

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Are you using Model Color or Model Air? Color is thicker and meant for brushing, Air is meant for airbrushing although Air can be brushed and, correctly thinned, Color can be airbrushed. :rolling:
Acrylics do have a tendency to dry on the tip. Add a retarder and perhaps thin more. This hot weather won't help!

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Thanks Jim I'm using model colour didn't realise there was 2 model shop didn't mention it either, what would you thin too? and what thinner? I'm using Vallejo thinner and it says on the bottle 10 drop paint to 2 drops thinner......this seems very thick

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Flow improver serves to make the paint go through the airbrush better, and not to dry on the tip as much. I’m not sure it makes much difference, myself, but OTOH, it also doesn’t appear to hurt to use it. This with pre-thinned airbrushable Vallejo and similar brands — I don’t think I’ve tried airbrushing their Model Colour at all.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
There is no hard and fast rule for a paint to thinner ratio to make a paint airbrush ready.
Although some do I wouldn't thin/mix paint in the air brush cup. Mix in a small container, I use plastic shot glasses. Add enough thinner to make the paint like milk. Acrylic retarder and flow improver are similar but not the same. You can add both together. This weather will make airbrushing acrylics very difficult. Try adding a little more thinner.
Another factor that can affect tip drying is how you stop and start spraying. The rule is "air on then paint on - paint off then air off". So on a double action airbrush that means - press down trigger then pull back to paint. To stop paint move trigger forward then release trigger.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brian

If you're using Model Colour, then I normally start with a 1:1 ratio, although it may need tweaking slightly. Model Air starting point is 2:1.

Flow Improver is a retarder of sorts I believe.

However, I was put into the extender medium below a number of years ago and use that instead......I find it more effective......one drop for every five of Model Air (include this in the thinner count)..... Plus it's half the price of Flow Improver.

I know Vallejo does not have the best reputation but I have found the above generally works for me and I don't get too much dry tip.... And besides I can't afford to bulk change all my paints.

But spraying at the moment will not be helped by the current heatwave.

Andrew

IMG20230908182139.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Why you would jump through hoops, adding retarders, flow improvers, etc., to a product when there are others that will spray straight from the bottle with none of these issues?

Asking for a friend (not really).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Why you would jump through hoops, adding retarders, flow improvers, etc., to a product when there are others that will spray straight from the bottle with none of these issues?
That's why I am changing over to MRP paints :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Asking for a friend (not really).
Same reason artists have been using various additives to their core paint type for a great many years Steve. Using additives lets you modify the way the paint handles so you can achieve a great many different effects. No paint sprays that well straight out of the pot in my experience, all need more thinner.

Acrylics are great for brush painting, but I rarely spray them because, like all acrylic paint types, they are a right pain and just frustrates me. Flow improver helps because it reduces surface tension (it’s not a drying retarder, it’s more like refined washing up liquid) but it’s not foolproof. Model air works best for me at about fifty percent added Vallejo airbrush thinner (I think that has drying retarder included).and a couple of drops of flow aid, but it’s not my go to by any means. Tamiya/Mr colour/Scale Model Shop diluted with Mr levelling thinner takes some beating in my opinion.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I know I haven't been doing this very long. But!! I always found getting the thinning thing a bit of a nightmare. Now I mix enough thinning agent with colour using a brush to mix the paint. When the mix drips from the brush I deem the mix ready. It's not a hard fast X drops of this and x drops of that. So far my unscientific method seems to be working for me. I keep the pressure low(ish) 15-20 psi.

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Thanks for all your input, I can't change paint now as I have started painting and masking off the wooden deck to change paints would be a nightmare.

IMG20230909070935.jpg

Last edited:

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have used Vallejo exclusively for about 10 years now. Both Colour and Air. I have sprayed both, just thinned with tap water. I have never really had problems with tip drying but could just be lucky. I tend to spray only in the cooler months ( when the temp is 25-30 degrees) Summers definitely don't lend themselves to spray work. As I said, I am probably just lucky.
John.

Reactions: JR