Variations of the same colour in theatre?

A

Andy

Morning All,

For my Diorama on the Russian Front I have a small issue - my other half bought me a completed Halftrack like the one i showed in the diorama thread, but it is noticeably lighter than the one I have.

I tried to lighten my own one up with oil shading, it looked okay but I wasn’t happy with it - so stripped the oils off and am instead going to add a lighter wash to see if it makes a difference.

However, I was just wondering if people thought it would be more believable with variations in colour throughout the diorama? Or should every vehicle have the same shade/tone of Grey?

Cheers,

Andy

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
Hi there andy - this is very much dependant on one's own tastes and views .... if i were faced with a similar issue i would attempt to try and apply similar shading ... if i had a model or feature on a diorama that was a different shading (from the norm) my eye's would tend to always gravitate towards it. chers Lindsey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's an artistic decision.

Line up a dozen trucks,tanks or just about any other vehicles fresh off the production line and they will be close to identical.

Line up a dozen vehicles that have been in theatre for a few months and there are bound to be slight variations. Subtle would be the keyword.

Cheers

Steve

A

Andy

Thanks guys - i will have to try and adjust the colouring of the darker halftrack - i may get away with things to an extent in terms of fresh armour coming up to the front...but not with the halftracks, the colours are just to different i feel.

Cheers!

B

backonthecase

I can see that working with no intervention. Although they're different, and noticably so, the left one looks like it's been around for a few days vs the workhorse of the division on the right.

Very believable in my opinion.....

Stuart

A

Andy

Thats what i was thinking Stuart, the newer one was going to have been placed in the dio as slid off of the road - with the workhorse passing by.

I think the newer of the two could do with another round of lightweathering, but i dont think i will break the air brush out just yet!

Thanks everyone.

B

backonthecase

I'd say with a little weathering, you got it bang on mate. bl***y newby driver managed to ditch the new motor!? hahahah

A

Andy

Exactly Stuart haha! Dont think his boss will be to happy that hes dragged the 88 he was bring up, off of the road as well!

Light weathering is the way forward!