Vought F4U Corsair 1/32

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
This is my first big aircraft and was an experiment in the logistics of moving up scale. I have two larger models, an F4 Phantom and Henkel He111, and it is a challenge with space. This is a very straight forward kit with small part count. I upgraded the cockpit and added some tubing to represent the guns. It goes together very nicely and I only had a couple of problems. One was the folding wings which quickly became annoying so got fixed. The other was the retractable tail wheel which I found to be non load bearing so was also fixed. Definitely going to sort my desk if the others are to get built.
7147CC68-B883-467F-AC50-CD5628CA00C6.jpegBBB6F845-1868-4259-9BEF-9BFA5D60E3B4.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Mick. Must be quite a size?
Just a random thought, but if you displayed it with one wing up and one down it would take up less shelf space…..doesn’t help with the Phantom and the He-111 though …..

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Wings are g
Looks good Mick. Must be quite a size?
Just a random thought, but if you displayed it with one wing up and one down it would take up less shelf space…..doesn’t help with the Phantom and the He-111 though …..

The wings aren’t going anywhere now Tim, they’re secured. For me it was more the space to build large scale so a bit of reorganisation 32cm long and a 38 cm wingspan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely corsair mick , paintwork looks excellent .ive a soft spot for the old Revell 1/32 kits , detail wise theyre not up to modern standards but with a little enhancement they can look every bit as good , plus theyre great value . Cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very, very nicely done Mick. I would be very pleased if I could turn out anything looking that good.

Well done.

Andrew

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very nice build. I assume it’s the Revell from your description. I built that back in the 70’s and remember the wing issue.

As for size, yes it can be a big problem both in construction and display but the sheer visual impact a display model in this size has, makes it worthwhile.

The He111 can, of course, only be the Revell and that will be fairly big but it has some good reviews and it has tempted me in the past but, not being a fan of Revell, I decided to build the He111 in small scale with the 1/48 ICM which sits currently in my stash.

The Phantom is big and always impresses in big scale. Personally though I am looking forward to the HKM Spey engined Phantom in this scale.

Anyway, welcome to the dark side of large scale aircraft. Some of the best kits released in any scale are in 1/32 like the Tamiya masterpieces.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Many thanks for your kind words gents. It certainly does look impressive size wise. I have a couple of other projects to finish before considering the next large scale one. Thanks for the welcome to the dark side Barry I'm not sure my Mrs is that impressed :smiling5: :smiling5:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Spot on work Mick. Your build looks impressive in the pic's, I bet it's even better in real life.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice. Just an observation - the star & bars on the LH wing look upside down

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Mick, the paintwork is stunning. Look forward to more of your large scale models after this excellent ‘experiment’!!!
It‘s the Revell Corsair, right?
Cheers
Paul