Vulcan

B

Bunkerbarge

Next up is the Avro Vulcan. They have now managed to raise enough funding to get this aircraft through a couple more flyinmg seasons but then again they will be struggling to secure her future. This example is based at Doncaster Robin Hood Airport in the hangar where it was originally housed when the airport was an RAF base!

Now she does air shows around the country, occassionally landing where there is space or just simply showing off the Olympus engines by coming in low over the field then putting on full power and climbing away. The sound of those engines is stunning!

View attachment 70703

View attachment 70704

View attachment 70705

View attachment 70706

View attachment 70707

View attachment 70708

View attachment 70709

View attachment 70710

View attachment 70711

View attachment 70712

View attachment 70713

View attachment 70714

View attachment 70715

03-08-13-60EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan4.jpg

03-08-13-61EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan5.jpg

03-08-13-62EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan6.jpg

03-08-13-63EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan7.jpg

03-08-13-64EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan8.jpg

03-08-13-65EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan9.jpg

03-08-13-66EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan10.jpg

03-08-13-67EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan11.jpg

03-08-13-68EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan12.jpg

03-08-13-69EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan13.jpg

03-08-13-70EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan14.jpg

03-08-13-71EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan15.jpg

03-08-13-72EastKirkbyAirShow'13Vulcan16.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

By the way hands up all those who knew the guy who designed the Lancaster also drafted the first designs for the Vulcan! Not to mention the Lincoln and the Shackleton and goodness knows how many others in between. Roy Chadwick, quite a clever man.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A great aircraft Richard I really love to see and hear it

I built the Airfix 1/72 Vulcan last year of this one Really glad they got the funding for it

M

mobear

its like looking at something in slow motion but disappears very quickly and quietly(hence the creeping death as we called it)lol

lovely pics thnx

mobear

P

Polux

Beautiful plane!

With "strange" camouflage too....

PS: Fantastic pics Richard, thanks to share them!

C

chris

Great pictures, brings back fond memories of seeing the Vulcan fly up the Humber estuary in the very early 1980's, on a practice bombing run. It flew in from the north sea at low level and as it entered the estuary it pulled upinto the sky with a great roar of it's engines, which i beleive was a manouvre they used to practice "skip" bombing. in effect lobbing the bomb onto the target, which i had read about before but never seen untill that moment.

We were pretty lucky in the Humberside area as there used to be the bombing range at Cowden and many a lunch time i used to sit and watch the A10's diving down onto the bombing range , canon blazing away. such memories!

B

Bunkerbarge

That roar as it pulls away makes your hair stand on end! It really is amazing.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great pics Richard. The Vulcan is perhaps one of the most potent symbols of Britain's 'Cold War'.

S

simon sargeant

You can't beat a Vulcan! I've been lucky enough to get inside a Vulcan at Coventry musuem, and they look fast just sat in one looking out of the tiny windows at the front that the pilots tried to use:smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

I've actually just finished reading Vulcan 607 yesterday.

If anyone has more than a passing interest in Vulcans I wholeheartedly recommend it, it was a fantastic read and opened my eyes to a lot about what went on to actually get a Vulcan over the Falklands.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I will second Vulcan 607 as a great read. I have fond memories of staying with my grandfather at the base when he was in the RAF and waking up to the sound of the morning flight taking off over the house. That was my signal to get up and have a cup of tea with Grandad before he went on duty.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have seen this in the flesh, close up and flying and she is a magnificent machine. It is such a shame that the Government does not set aside a few million (to support the donation/private money) to keep this and other iconic aircraft, tanks, ships and submarines running and looking there best. They maybe instruments of war but in retirement they also serve as memorials to those who helped keep the peace or died trying. I suppose it is easier have a lump of granite or bronze than a complicated machine.

Wonderful piccies Richard, thank you for sharing.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Great pictures, brings back fond memories of seeing the Vulcan fly up the Humber estuary in the very early 1980's, on a practice bombing run. It flew in from the north sea at low level and as it entered the estuary it pulled upinto the sky with a great roar of it's engines, which i beleive was a manouvre they used to practice "skip" bombing. in effect lobbing the bomb onto the target, which i had read about before but never seen untill that moment.We were pretty lucky in the Humberside area as there used to be the bombing range at Cowden and many a lunch time i used to sit and watch the A10's diving down onto the bombing range , canon blazing away. such memories!
I spent many a happy hour in the northern tower at Cowden Bombing Range in the 60's & 70's watching the comings and goings, Vulcans would often use the targets there but we couldn't see them as they were so high.

We would only see the puff of the flash charge as the bomb hit the ground, or the splash if using the float targets out to sea.

Unfortunately all the photo's I had of those times disappeared (along with many other things) when my ex wife and I parted.

Not wishing to hijack an excellent thread, but thought Chris may like these taken at Cowden in the 80's

Not very clear but I was on my way to Hornsea at the time, and only had chance for a few quick clicks of the camera without pre-setting. (pre digital days)

View attachment 77183

View attachment 77184

View attachment 77185

Copy of Cowden Gunnery Range 1986 007.jpg

Cowden Gunnery Range 1986 004.jpg

Cowden Gunnery Range 1986 009.jpg

P

Paul Daniell

I saw this actual plane a couple of years again at bruntingthorpe.

the thing that grabbed me was at the end of the day it took off to go back to Doncaster and the little space it took to get into the air hardly any role down the runway at all.

Bunker did you know that the same guy you were on about also design an smaller 2 engine version of the Lancaster called a Avro Manchester?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Bunker did you know that the same guy you were on about also design an smaller 2 engine version of the Lancaster called a Avro Manchester?
The forerunner to the Lanc I believe, underpowered IRC.

Si:smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
I saw this actual plane a couple of years again at bruntingthorpe.the thing that grabbed me was at the end of the day it took off to go back to Doncaster and the little space it took to get into the air hardly any role down the runway at all.

if you read up about Roy Chadwick you will find he designed a huge number of aircraft. An amazing engineer and an unbeleivable contribution to our aviation history.