Water I need water

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
How do you go about making water for a dio as always on the cheap and while I'm here snow im doing a captured t34 in Russia and its a White washed effect so I would like to add snow and if possible not buy it I'm not Scrooge!!!!!!! But what the hell

P

phalinmegob

i think i have heard of using bicarbanate of soda but wait for someone else to be sure.

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
\ said:
i think i have heard of using bicarbanate of soda but wait for someone else to be sure.
Ive just had a quick scout around on youtube and found this

hope this helps :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Our master dio builder, Spanner, Does wonderful thing with paint and varnish. If he does not come with a reply, try dropping him a PM.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For snow then bicarb soda is best. Do not use flour as it will yellow with time. As for water i can only suggest using pva glue as it can be tinted and drys clear (untinted)

B

backonthecase

For water I have used clear casting resin. It's not cheap unless buying bulk, I got a litre plus hardner for £18. Alternatively, Vallejo do a product called still water which is also pretty good and cheap.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That stuff from Vallejo is very good actually- I have used it a few times. The Liquid one in a bottle is totally clear and is great for puddles and the like. The Gel in a tube is more suited to large panes of water like a lake, pool or sea.

If you try the liquid take note. It is as thin as water and will run away via the tiniest of holes. Ask me how I know.....doh!

Buy the way, the liquid one dries so clear that you can use it to cast small bits like headlamp glass and what not.

Ian M

C

CDW

For snow ... bicarb (and PVA glue if you need to shape it) There is a difference in the "grade" of bicarb .. cheaper ones tend to be coarser , branded names are mostly finer giving a better mix.

for water ... paint and clear varnish as per "the dio master" whom Ian mentions above, you might need to have a dry run first (excuse the pun:smiling3:) to get the hang of it but the effect is cracking..... I've also used clear silicon for water with success.

N

noble

\ said:
How do you go about making water for a dio as always on the cheap and while I'm here snow im doing a captured t34 in Russia and its a White washed effect so I would like to add snow and if possible not buy it I'm not Scrooge!!!!!!! But what the hell
Hi Dude if you want snow on the cheap then make your groundwork with whatever you use, make all your track marks and hills etc, once done paint it white for snow drifts some white plaster of paris added to give your terrain the effect you want. If the need arises and you need a little of the powdery stuff then cover your base in pva and water then add some raw plaster.

scott