----- Original Message -----

mark beyer

To:

wonwinglo @scale-models.co.uk

Sent:

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:38 PM

Subject:

matt paint

*** The best matt finish that is fuelproof is a product called Tufcote (marketed by Ripmax) it is a two part resin that sets like rock,make sure that you get the matt variety and shake the sediment in the bottom of the jar.One word of warning this stuff stinks so do the job outside or with plenty of ventilation.There may be other brand names available of this product but good model suppliers should know what you are after,best of luck !

Hi,

I visited your website and found it very interesting and helpful. Have you any advise for producing a matt fuel proof finish on scale rc models,

Thanks, Mark

First Name
Grahame
Matt Tufcote really is an excellent fuelproofer, I use it all the time, well almost, I did try polyurethane varnish once but that was a disaster! The only problem with it is that it isn’t a true matt finish; it is more a dull satin and this may not be correct for some military type aircraft.

You can buy “matting agent” from good automotive paint suppliers (that’s the sediment that settles to the bottom) and I would consider adding some more to the Tufcote if you need a true matt finish. You would need to do some experimenting to find the right proportions and of course also check that it’s still fuel-proof!

If anyone tries or has already done this please let us know the results, I for one would be very interested.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes matting agent does indeed work,years ago I used to use a substitute in the form of fine talc,this does exactly the same job but I stress good quality fine ground talc is best well stirred into the proofer,another trick is when the fuel proofer is throughly dry to use some fine wire wool to just lightly etch into the proofer,use with plenty of water just like wet & dry paper,as alway there are many variables and before commiting to your pride and joy experiment on a similar panel of material,the experts prepare a spare surface with exactly the same materials as applied to the model,this way a true idea of how things will eventually look will be gained.