Weathering

B

Bennetts101

Hi all newbie here

I have seen some models that have had some sort of weathering to make them look used/dirty/old.

I am just wondering how everybody does this?

Thanks in advance

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Tom, I use pigments, enamel and oil paint washed thinned down with white spirit, filter-washes, and anything else that may work, felt-pens, pencils.

Si:smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Tom this is a varied and diverse topic, I agree with Si and also use pastels and dry brushing as well. There are some tutorals you can read on the site,I would strongly suggest a search of the site lots of good info to be found.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Tom - welcome to the forum.

In the thread below I explain my methods. Take a look...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/weathering-and-distressing.25148/

B

Bennetts101

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll be sure to read some of the how to guides

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Weathering is maybe the biggest part of modelling that can be added to your build it's massive in its application , you can get some great effects from the simplest things you find in any home just Si (eddisolo) has sujested , you can even find good effects buy making a mistake on a build like super glue frosts up if you put water on it this gives a great look for rust or burnt mettle on cars :smiling3:

L

Laurie

There are numerous methods of achieving a weathering for your model. Also the depth you are going to go in weathering. Also if you wish to distress your model.

I define weathering as the natural elements ie sunlight etc. Distressing as the wear caused by human factors ie for instance scratches by engineers and pilots.

Most important I have found is to decided what you want to add in the way of weathering or distressing. How far you wish to go with these elements. Only then look at the methods of achieving them.

Best to look at the models of others to find what you want to achieve.

Laurie

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Not a lot to add, as everybody has pretty much covered it but I look at weathering in 3 areas:

1. Subtle; slight shading for shadows, slight dry brush for raised details.

2. Realistic; weathering affects all areas, hatches, wheels, etc etc, heavier shading and more dry brushing

3. Unrealistic; this has to be a downfall for new starters (I know I used to!o_O), going over the top with a filter or shading or a highlight...If its to heavy, I personally think that realism is lost.

This is my opinion, others may agree or disagree?

I use burnt umber (shading) and a lighter shade of vehicle in question (dry brush) sometimes I use tamiya weathering set.

Lee :smiling3: