We're off. RAF Sea King HAR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ive had similar with an old Italeri Wessex kit.I.love Seakings and Wessex.Ive even got the tiny 1.144th Sweet Seaking kits.Boy oh boy are they tiny.I might post some images to show the motley crew here.
Hope you fix her.
Richard
Thank you Richard, I hope it can be recovered. If not!!!! I developed a cunning plan this morning. There is a small hammer under my work bench. I may just simulate a RPG attack on the port side cockpit area!!! :surprised::smiling5:
Nah, I'll do something less drastic! I hope. It's my first kit so nothing ventured - nothing gained!!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
If that's the worst thing on your build Doug then you would hate to see me in action at the bench.

Could you use some PVA instead of filler? It will not affect the clear part next to it, dries clear and can be smoothed with a moist cotton bud whilst still wet, avoiding potential damage from sanding filler.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Frustrating!

It has annoyed me Chris but not to the point of binning it!! As I said to Pete - 'frustrating'. Just ordered some filler, somehow I didn't think Pollyfilla or plaster would suffice!!!!
Doug, this why one reason I build armour ----------------- Mud ;)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sitrep!! My filler has arrived to that may well be this afternoons wee project! Trouble is it's too sunny - need to out in it!!! Then again - !!!!!!

In the mean time I am currently experimenting with blade bend!!! As it's a sunny day I decided to be environmental. (Maybe 'mental). BUT!! I have my blades suspended on a tub in the sun, (that's the environmental bit), with a small weight at the hub!! Hopefully - that will impart a suitable amount of bend in the blades!! If not - Drawing board time again!!
IMG_0697.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Also, I have deliberately NOT distanced the blades 72 degrees apart!! In the real world the rotor head dampers would not place the blades as per the instructions. The blades in reality have a certain amount of movement in the fore and aft plane/axis. (All to do with advancing and retarding sectors in flight).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Doug. Simply ease the blades between your fingers. The body heat will bend them to the exact amount you require. And it's quite therapeutic too!

I use this method successfully with all my helicopter builds.

Might be of some use......

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Regards post 85, my blade bending experiment. Environmental bending is a fail!
So, plan 2!! I will sandwich the blades between two small plates immersed in hot water. (Which is what I'll be in if it goes wrong!!)
If we don't try we'll never know.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug. Simply ease the blades between your fingers. The body heat will bend them to the exact amount you require. And it's quite therapeutic too!

I use this method successfully with all my helicopter builds.

Might be of some use......
That'll be plan 3 Ron!!! (When the puppy is asleep). Anything in my hands usually ends up in her mouth!!!
I'm trying to impart the same amount of bend in the same place on all the blades.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I think I said before, slight, careful bends at small intervals will give the appearance of a curved blade and is very easy to do. I’ve been using that method for over 30 years :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
As I think I said before, slight, careful bends at small intervals will give the appearance of a curved blade and is very easy to do. I’ve been using that method for over 30 years :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko, that's 2 for finger bending!!! Pressure!! Pressure!!! (I'm still going to try the plates though!!!) :smiling5: :smiling5:
I have a Baldrick style idea in the back of my mind!! If the blade business goes wrong - I'm going to make the King into a cab in maintenance. A comb, modified to hold the blades on the deck alongside the Sea King as if in maintenance.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Why make it difficult for yourself Doug.?

I don't understand why you don't just bend the blades the easy, straight forward and simple 'jakko Ron' method. ;)

Sandwiching the blades as you are going to do won't give you even bends on each of the blades, as you will have no control of the outcome..

Gently manipulating, as we have both suggested works every time and is dead accurate.

We are both only trying to help and show you the best, quickest and easiest way to get the results you are after.

Not to worry ......

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Doug Jackko an Ron ARE RIGHT as on my seaking i did the same just got the blades one at a time in my fingers an gently bent them an they have the droop that looks right but still miss the tail when goin
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Why make it difficult for yourself Doug.?

I don't understand why you don't just bend the blades the easy, straight forward and simple 'jakko Ron' method. ;)

Sandwiching the blades as you are going to do won't give you even bends on each of the blades, as you will have no control of the outcome..

Gently manipulating, as we have both suggested works every time and is dead accurate.

We are both only trying to help and show you the best, quickest and easiest way to get the results you are after.

Not to worry ......
Doug Jackko an Ron ARE RIGHT as on my seaking i did the same just got the blades one at a time in my fingers an gently bent them an they have the droop that looks right but still miss the tail when goin
chrisb
OK guys, I admit defeat. But if you don't try ya don't learn!
I did bend the blades as per Ron and Jakko. And it worked. So!! Lesson learned.
At least now I know what does and doesn't work. Thanks guys, I wasn't being awkward just wanted to prove a point to myself. I even said to SWIMBO I'll be bending them by hand in the end.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's a MayDay on the Hobnobs but we are Bourbon capable!!! Tea is a given in times of high stress. (In times when stress isn't high actually).
Bourbon You say!! Now that's a "Treat" you can't beat!! ohh......just remembered, it's "Thirsty Thursday" I'll be getting my weekly ration of Steak and Whiskey here in the good ol' USA up Montana way....."Happy Hour" starts in an hour. Thats 1700 hrs. for those that knows!! Laters :thumb2: :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'd use fire , but that's a long story ! Doug you'll have ask the others why.;)
HAHA yes Doug MR J/R loves settin fire to his building on his dio's to get that authentic blown up smell of a building in wartime an whenever he comes to look at a build make sure you have a fire exstinusher handy an keep the matches locked up he 's a mainiac where flames are concerned lol :rolling: ;):smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
chrisb