West Yorks in Burma

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Hi this is a bit out of my comfort zone, usually stick to 1/350 and 1/700 naval.
My late pop served with the 2nd West Yorks in Burma. He never spoke about it much when we were kids, which I later learned was the way of things with most who served out there. He suffered late in life from dementia and it was only during some of his worst periods of illness that the subject surfaced, mostly in the form of terror and and obviously visceral recollections.
I have wanted to do something like this and when I saw this resin cast on EBay thought it would be spot on.
The figure came from AC Models in NZ, branded as a ’Chindit Bren Gunner’, dad served in a Bren Gun section although he had little nice to say about it ‘Bloody heavy and cumbersome’ were, I think, the best comments!
The casting itself turned out to be rather a mixed bag in terms of quality, so I think I will be doing some basic remedial,work. Already done some scratch work on the Bren (carry handle and bipod were a complete mush!)
Like I say, this is way ‘off piste’ for me so any help/advice/references would be greatly appreciated.
i will post my ongoing efforts regardless of quality,
IMG_0481.jpegIMG_0482.jpegIMG_0485.jpegIMG_0486.jpegIMG_0487.jpegIMG_0490.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The casting itself turned out to be rather a mixed bag in terms of quality,
Definitely good and bad. All the detail seems to be there but a fair bit of cleaning up needed. A great idea. It's always special to model something with a personal connection. It will be interesting to follow this - certainly very different to a ship :smiling:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looking at the castings closely im shocked.Very rough and clearly the master figure wasnt attended to sufficiently at the cleaning up stage.
Do hope you can do something with him.
Richard.
Andy Cairns' style is always rather more 'sculptural' than naturalistic, Richard. Not to everyone's taste but I rather admire it myself.

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Andy Cairns' style is always rather more 'sculptural' than naturalistic, Richard. Not to everyone's taste but I rather admire it myself.
Hi Neil
From your comment I take it you have seen his work before, so,this is the norm.
I do also like this style, it wasn’t until I gave it an undercoat and took some pics for the forum that I realised how ‘sculptural’ it was.
I think I will have trouble with some of the deeper areas of the casting where it will be difficult to get at with modelling tools.
i have attacked it with filler to lessen some of the more obvious rough areas, will give it a go and re coat with primer, see how that looks, hopefully a coat of MR Finishing Surfacer will help. If not I will maybe ’dirty up’ the finish more. Dad did recall one story where he spent long hours submerged up to his armpits in the edge of a paddy field waiting for an attack! Can’t think anyone much cared about appearances in those conditions.