Westland Wessex

First Name
Mike
Mark 1 1/144 Westland Wessex HAR.3. Really nice little kit, just needed a bit of a polish and a few added aerials/details. Surprisingly for the rescue variant the kit didn't include the winch, so that was scratch built. Decals are from the kit and went on beautifully. Full build article in the latest issue of Airfix Model World.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Unbelievable , a beautiful build in any scale but even more remarkable as its in 1/144! Superb detailing too Mike , what did you use for the whip aerials on the nose? I used synthetic paintbrush bristles on my Puma and found they gave just the right effect. Great build doesnt do this justice , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Amazing I would love to be able to build n gauge aircraft to a fraction of that standard.

How do you get the panel lines like that I have never tried .

Dave

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
We need a ' bloody amazing ' doo dab for things like this , that is one seriously cool build in 1/144 you must have really small hands and brilliant eyesight to do that Mike

Fantastic, I am in awe and seriously jealous of your skill :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Your builds in the small scale always impress, but this really is in a league above them IMO. A wonderful, quality build of the best type from a very talented modeler.

Si:smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
awesome Mike.,just fantasic :D

P

Polux

Wow! Amazing!!! Is amazing the final result, the size, your skills, the.... :smiling3:

It's magnificent Mike!

Mike....can I ask you a question?

Is NOT a criticism, is just pure curiosity! Why you never do any kind of weathering on your builds? Is a norm? You don't like it? Is a requisit of the magazines...? O_o

Cheers

Polux

Last edited:
I'm blown away that that is in 1/144 scale. Looks like it has real weight and depth.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

First Name
Mike
Thanks everyone, glad you like it :smiling3:

\ said:
what did you use for the whip aerials on the nose? I used synthetic paintbrush bristles on my Puma and found they gave just the right effect.
Cheers Tony, they're just lengths of stretched sprue but I like the idea of brush bristles.

\ said:
How do you get the panel lines like that I have never tried .
Thanks Dave, I flow thinned watercolour into each panel line with a fine brush.

\ said:
you must have really small hands and brilliant eyesight to do that Mike
Actually Alan I have terrible eyesight, I've been long-sighted since I was 11. I can't do any modelling without either strong reading glasses or, especially on a model this size, an Optivisor.

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Mike....can I ask you a question?Is NOT a criticism, is just pure curiosity! Why you never do any kind of weathering on your builds? Is a norm? You don't like it? Is a requisit of the magazines...? o_O
First Polux, thanks for phrasing your question in such a polite, friendly way; another reason why this forum remains one of the friendliest I've come across

The short answer is that I do apply weathering if a) it's applicable or b) I feel like it ;) I know it's the current fashion to build every model with faded paintwork, rusty paint chips and sooty stains but generally I try to look at photos of the actual planes before I build 'em, and in many cases that's just not what I see. The Wessex for instance was kept almost immaculately clean, except for the rotor blades. Same with the Haitian Mustang I did recently, it was very clean, not even a sign of exhaust staining. Apart from that though, I must admit I like the clean look; I think I was heavily influenced by those photos of the completed models on the top of Hasegawa instruction sheets, with perfectly highlighted panel lines ;)

Just to prove I do occasionally weather models:-

Lancaster:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/pin-up-lancaster.12583/

SAM-2 missile/trailer

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/sam-2-missile-trailer-trumpeter-1-35.12808/

Bf110

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/eduard-bf110.27337/

P

Polux

Thanks for your polite and friendly reply as well Mike :smiling3:

Ahhh....sorry, I'm corious like a child ;)

First: it's really difficult for me to recreate a "clean" builds like yours. I suppose the answer is simple: I haven't enough skills to do it :oops: sometimes I asking myself if my builds on "the real life" could ever move or fly with all those rust, dirty and dust effects :D

Second: I arrive at this forum few days after you posted the missile/trailer. Three years later, this build still amazing me and still being a reference to achieve for me ;)

regards

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Saw this in the Airfix Mag and smiled.

Saw it here and still smiled.

Great job Mike.