Wet sanding and what's best to use?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

Advice if possible please

Been using wet sanding for the first time on the Fletcher. Used one of my favourite sticks, Albion sanding sticks, nice and thin. However using them wet is of course bringing the backing off so they are falling apart.

Can anybody advise as to what they use, I do have suitable sanding sheets but it will be awkward to get into places that the Albion can get into?

Ta bob

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have only used wet sanding on resin to keep the dust at bay. I use very fine wet & dry paper. I shape coffee stirrers into different shapes and then use waterproof wood glue to stick on the wet & dry paper. They work ok and are cheap enough to replace when worn or the wood goes soggy and out of shape.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks both, that's one thing I have changed is too use a less aggressive grit!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wet and dry for me as well Bob. It’s exactly what it was made for. Remember to clean the surface between grades though, otherwise the slurry left behind is still sanding like the rougher stuff when you go to a finer paper.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use lolly pop sticks and an assortment of graded paperu pva’ed to them, press them down over night voila cut them to what ever size suits.
(i paste the whole sheet and lay the sicks out on them)
simon.
That's a cracking idea Jim, ta very much. Need to make thin ones to use like the original Albion ones. Must start nicking coffee stirrers lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's a cracking idea Jim, ta very much. Need to make thin ones to use like the original Albion ones. Must start nicking coffee stirrers lol
Double sided tape on plasticard works as well Bob……