What a plonker!

K

Keithmayes

I sought out your advice on priming before painting and noted recommendations for Halford's spray can primer. Drove miles to Halford's, picked up can of primer, drove miles back with happy contented smile on face. Only after looking at model, looking at can, did I realise what a plonker I am. I selected WHITE primer to spray on WHITE plastic in preparation for mainly WHITE gloss. Doh!

Going back tomorrow to get grey primer, the white spray can will go in shed with all the other mistakes, er, I mean stuff I bought knowing it would come in handy at some future point.

L

Laurie

Not sure what the problem is Keith. There are whites and whites blue whites and fawn whites.

I would go for it. See if it will work before driving miles. Now if you had Vallejo grey white blue black yellow etc etc 10 colours there would not be a problem as the primer would be applied and cured tomorrow morning .

:D

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

You've got a point Laurie, there may be enough difference in the shades of white to be able to differentiate primed from non-primed areas while painting, and same with top coat. I will give it a go in the morning. You may have saved me an unnecessary journey, thanks.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
White primer will go well with the white paint coat anyway Keith.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
No problem, it should be fine.

Si:smiling3:

R

Ray Scheller

I just did a white on white and it worked out fine. I used Laurie's thinning ratios and spray pressures and it turned out fine. Go for it maybe you can forego the journey.

Ray

L

Laurie

\ said:
I worry to much, it's a plastic model not a ruddy great rocket!
No problem with that. We all look at things we are all the same Keith. We want to do the best we can. From the top model makers to those just starting on SCM I bet most have do I do I not is this right or not. Makings of a good model maker or anything else in life for that matter.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I think white primer would be a good bet for white gloss ............. The primer coat, as well as prepping the plastic for the paint to key to will help show up any flaws that need attention, that you don't see on the plastic, before paint...... Any colour primer will do that........ Also, I'd put money on the primer not being a true white anyhow.

Go for it.............

Peter

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
No problem with that. We all look at things we are all the same Keith. We want to do the best we can. From the top model makers to those just starting on SCM I bet most have do I do I not is this right or not. Makings of a good model maker or anything else in life for that matter.Laurie
I have always gone through life wanting to do the best I can at whatever I think important. I have always been a very active person, DIY, gliding, hill walking, gardening, touring, astronomy nights, etc. etc. Ill health has now changed all that, I don't leave the house that often these days, can't risk going far because I can run out of steam suddenly. Model making seems to be a wonderful solution, I can sit at my work station (fold up plastic table :smiling3: ) and amuse myself for as long, or short, as I wish. Only wish I had thought of it sooner.....however, it does mean I am very self critical, so hopefully my finished Apollo Saturn V will be a masterclass of - in reality - every mistake a novice can make lol!

Last edited:
First Name
Adrian
I used Halfords white primer when building my Dragon 1:72 Apollo 11, the top coat was Appliance white from Halfords, no issues at all in coverage.

Adrian

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
I think white primer would be a good bet for white gloss ............. The primer coat, as well as prepping the plastic for the paint to key to will help show up any flaws that need attention, that you don't see on the plastic, before paint...... Any colour primer will do that........ Also, I'd put money on the primer not being a true white anyhow.Go for it.............

Peter
Yeah, you're right. Thanks Peter.

Last edited:
K

Keithmayes

\ said:
I used Halfords white primer when building my Dragon 1:72 Apollo 11, the top coat was Appliance white from Halfords, no issues at all in coverage.Adrian
Thanks for that Adrian, that's very reasurring. Appliance white, that's interesting, will keep it in mind. Apollo 11 at 1:72, now that's amazing! Do you have a pic?

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
You've already seen it, least I hope you have as you commented on it :smiling3: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/apollo-11-saturn-v-finished.28059/page-2

Adrian
Ah yes, I remember now, a truely remarkable achievement, I just love it. Astronomy and space flight have fascinated me all my life, I'm 69, so that's a long time. That's why I chose this Apollo Saturn V for my first build. One day, when I am a lot more experienced, I will have a go at the 1:72. Something to aim towards.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Ever thought of just using a gloss varnish?
Do you mean using it as a primer? Think my glass needs a refill, brain overheating, all three remaining brain cells firing simultaneously.

B

Bunkerbarge

Don't forget one of the main purposes of a primer is to provide a key for the top coat to adhere to properly. If the top coat is white the primer may as well be white to A) Give the best colour cover and B) Provide the key for the gloss final coat. Using a white primer on a white plastic is fine and makes perfect sense.

K

Keithmayes

Thanks Richard, it makes more sense now.

I've had a little night time tipple and that always provides solutions to even the most challenging and vexing questions that harmless inert objects assault us with.

Last edited:
S

Stevekir

I don't like using a primer that is very close in colour to the plastic because it is difficult to gauge how the primer is going on (thickness etc.). I sometimes add a little coloured primer. For the same reason I avoid a primer with the same colour as the next coat.