what actual colours did lufthansa use in the 1930's ?

G

gerry

Hello, I'm new to this. I have recently started to make models again after a 20+ year gap where I got lost in a world of alcoholism and playing guitar in a blues band. Now I'm sober and back to what is a fantastic way to relax and enjoy life with out talking poo and slowly killing my self through the ould booze. Any way, my problem is this, I have just got my hands on a 1:72 Junkers Ju-52 by Italeri, and would like to finish it in 1930's Lufthansa colours. But this is the crux of the problem: What is the actual colour scheme ? bare aluminium and black , or a light grey and black ? I,ve seen some models on line finished in "aluminium", which looks great my I ad, but to my eye it looks too "silvery" if you catch my drift ? I've e-mailed Lufthansa as they run a restored Ju-52 in Germany on a tourist/aircraft enthusiast basis, but to no avail ! I have a felling it may actually be an aluminium daub, as I've used this my self in the real world for painting roofs on construction sites. Then again, that would ad a serious amount of weight to an aircraft. Then again, it was the 1930's we're talking about which is 80 years ago. Any way Lads, if any one out there in model making land could be of assistants I would be very greatfull.

Gerry

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't check all the possibilities but I can say that the silver/black scheme you mention was a silver (aluminium) lacquer and not bare metal. There was also a light grey/green lacquer,a predecessor of the 02 colour, used IIRC. I can't be any more definite without checking.

Michael Ullmann's book covers the pre-war colours in some detail,but unfortunately that's at home and I'm not :smiling3:

The amount of weight added is less than you might expect. I've read figures between 80 and 120 pounds (no idea whose right) for the Olive Drab on a B-17,which ain't much in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi gerry , looking at period photos i would guess that they were painted a dull silver colour .Duralumin could be given a bonded coating of aluminium to help prevent corrosion so they may have been left in this finish also . Either way youre going to finish up with a dull matt aluminium finish , so i'd just paint it with a dulled down silver mix, Maybe 3 parts silver to 1 part light grey ? I know this is just a best guess but i hope it helps in some way , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I used a dulled silver finish on my recent Ju52. I used dark black on the nose and nacelles and Scarlett red on the tail for the Nazi-era.

G

gerry

\ said:
I can't check all the possibilities but I can say that the silver/black scheme you mention was a silver (aluminium) lacquer and not bare metal. There was also a light grey/green lacquer,a predecessor of the 02 colour, used IIRC. I can't be any more definite without checking.Michael Ullmann's book covers the pre-war colours in some detail,but unfortunately that's at home and I'm not :smiling3:

The amount of weight added is less than you might expect. I've read figures between 80 and 120 pounds (no idea whose right) for the Olive Drab on a B-17,which ain't much in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks steve, I had a feeling its not bare aluminium. Your right, 80-120 pounds is feck all really when you think about it. The average 12 year old now days has got to weigh more than that !!That book you kindly mentioned my be of use for future projects, I have a he 111h-6 on the go. I was looking at the box the other day and I was thinking the guys that designed millenium falcon from Star Wars were influenced by that big glass house nose ( he-111), or may be the super fortress. Any way, Steve, thank you for replying , the book reference, I am sure, will be of great assistance. Gerry

G

gerry

Thanks for the help guys , I'd love to build a few more 1930's civilian air craft. I know Airfix used to do a Ford Tri-motor, as I build this about 25 years ago. When I was making the oul kits back then tamiya did not exist ( at least not in Ireland ! ) and I've looked on line . The big, high detail companies seem to make a very limited run of air craft : 109's, zero's, spits etc, which is cool, but how many do you need in your collection ? I've noticed Heller do a few interesting oldies, but the question is, are Heller kits any good ?