What are your favorite airbrushes? (POLL)

• Thread starter Airfix Modeller Freak
  • Start date

What are your favorite airbrushes?

• Iwata Custom Micron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iwata Hi Line

• Iwata HIgh performance +

• Iwata Eclipse

• Iwata Revolution

• H&S Infinity

• H&S Evolution

• H&S Ultra

• Iwata Neo

• Paasche VL

• Paasche Customs

• Badger Sotar 20/20

• Badger Universal 360

• Badger Anthem 155

• Badger Hybrid 3155

• Badger Crescendo 175

• Badger 100 Series

• Badger 150

• Paasche Talon

• Badger 200

• Badger 350

• Badger Renegades

• Iwata HP-C limited ed

• Chinese Branded abs

• Aztec

• Olympos HP-100C

• Total voters
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Just wanted to gauge who uses what airbrush.

Feel free to plug in a message if your ab is not listed.

Also, please detail which Airbrush you chose eg. iwata eclipse- HP-CS

Cheers, John

D

dubster72

Well I'm a happy user of a cheapo airbrush! I remain to be convinced that a £200+ AB is sufficiently better to justify the outlay. Even if my £13 one only lasts 6 months, then 200 ÷ 13 = 15 so that's 7.5 years of using 15 lots of my one as opposed to the expensive one. As it is my current one is well into its 2nd year!

That's why I posted my idea of having " trial " or "demo " airbrushes.

D

dougie

\ said:
Well I'm a happy user of a cheapo airbrush! I remain to be convinced that a £200+ AB is sufficiently better to justify the outlay. Even if my £13 one only lasts 6 months, then 200 ÷ 13 = 15 so that's 7.5 years of using 15 lots of my one as opposed to the expensive one. As it is my current one is well into its 2nd year!
That's why I posted my idea of having " trial " or "demo " airbrushes.
There is logic in buying disposable items... It is the same in any hobby - you can get a lot more product for a reasonable amount more than the cheap stuff but once you get in to the ridiculously high price bracket there is a rule of diminishing returns!

L

Laurie

Iwata HPBS. my favourite. All rounder light and perfectly balanced. As good for large areas as it is for detail.

Patricks idea of trying airbrushes before investing is a great idea. I can understand the difficulties of doing that.

Also I wonder if some one who has not ever airbrushed will have the nous to be able to distinguish between

acceptable and not. Really in a perfect situation it needs tuition first then to try brushes ie you need to know

how to bat before buying a cricket bat preferably pro. tuition.

How you solve that is a problem. Perhaps at a show a couple of commercial concerns could be persuaded to

demonstrate their brushes and give potential customers a go at airbrushing. Best of both worlds then.

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
Iwata HPBS. my favourite. All rounder light and perfectly balanced. As good for large areas as it is for detail.
Patricks idea of trying airbrushes before investing is a great idea. I can understand the difficulties of doing that.

Also I wonder if some one who has not ever airbrushed will have the nous to be able to distinguish between

acceptable and not. Really in a perfect situation it needs tuition first then to try brushes ie you need to know

How you solve that is a problem. Perhaps at a show a couple of commercial concerns could be persuaded to

demonstrate their brushes and give potential customers a go at airbrushing. Best of both worlds then.

Laurie
Some retailers such as Little Cars do demo airbrushes at shows & give people the chance to try them. However, I'm somewhat unconvinced that a 10 minute go is sufficient.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
sorry, cant vote cos i swear by an Aztek and its not on the list

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
H&S Evolution for me...

A great airbrush at a reasonable price (c.£100).

What I like are the interchangeable parts and the ability tio start with a basic model and add different sized needles etc over time. The easy breakdown and cleaning is the other big advantage for me.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:

Laurie
I use the Eclipse HP-CS and I use it for the majority of my work, and it works alongside my Hi Line

\ said:
sorry, cant vote cos i swear by an Aztek and its not on the list
Oddball! It's on now, so there you are.

Looks like the Iwata Eclipse is topping it at the moment

John

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I use Iwata Revolution BR and CR can't really judge these brushes against other makes as I have never tried any. The two I have do the job one being a .3 needle the other .5 Vallejo ModelAir tends to dry on the needle tip after prolonged use despite thinning. I haven't tried the retarder yet so will give it a go in the future.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I haven't tried the retarder yet so will give it a go in the future.
Yes have a go Vaughan. Been using Vallejo Air with an Iwata .2 at 8PSI for detail work and it has worked perfectly.

Laurie

P

phikoleoputra

Bet you guys never heard what a/b I use now Olympos HP-100C. Excellent brush, rumour has it that it was the original design Iwata use now for their HP-C model.

Waiting for my order on H&S Silverline 2in1, and I can't wait to try it out and compare it with what I use now.

Cheers

P

Polux

My first airbrush was an Aztek. And works good....

But the Iwata Hi Line is stunning!!!

And I must admit, that I don't take much care with the airbrush......but it still working very fine!

Inclusive I painted a Panzer II at 1/6 scale.......and my airbrush has a 0,2 mm needle.....:eek:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
After buying numerous cheap Chinese knock offs which caused much frustration I finally came to my senses and purchased an Iwata Tr2 which works like a dream everytime. Chinese ones now collecting dust in a draw somewhere. I have since brought an Iwata Tr0 which is great for the small stuff. I will never buy cheap again as I found it to be a false economy and rather irrational after my experience with them.

JUST MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION OTHERS ARE AVAILABLE thanks John ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For most of my work I use Sparmax airbrushes, I have a 0,2 for the fiddly bits and a 0.35 for the more chunky stuff.

If doing something large I fish the badgers out I have both an infinity and crescendo. They might be bottom feed but spray great and are a doddle to clean.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
My first airbrush was an Aztek. And works good....
But the Iwata Hi Line is stunning!!!

And I must admit, that I don't take much care with the airbrush......but it still working very fine!

Inclusive I painted a Panzer II at 1/6 scale.......and my airbrush has a 0,2 mm needle.....:eek:
Use the HI Line as well, and I love it. Works like a breeze. The equivalent of the infinity, if not better, as it has the MAC valve, and you have to pay extra for it on the infinity

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Looks like the iwatas are still at the top, but the H&S Evo looks to be pretty popular so far.

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Bet you guys never heard what a/b I use now Olympos HP-100C. Excellent brush, rumour has it that it was the original design Iwata use now for their HP-C model.
Waiting for my order on H&S Silverline 2in1, and I can't wait to try it out and compare it with what I use now.

Cheers
There you go. Now listed

John

R

Ray Scheller

I use both the Iwata HP-CS and the H&S Evolution Al, both are outstanding in my humble opinion.

Ray

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I use both the Iwata HP-CS and the H&S Evolution Al, both are outstanding in my humble opinion.
Ray
Yep. I use the HP-CS. I am yet to try an evo, but have used an infinity. I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and Hi Line HP-CH

John