What face mask to use?

C

Cooperman69

I've been scouring the web and basically confused myself stupid.

I'm looking to buy a half face mask to protect when airbrushing Tamiya acrylics and other more toxic paints, thinners and cleaners. The mask I'm drawn to is the 3M series 4000 respirator but I just do not know what model is best suited.

3M*3M Vapour and Particulate Respirator (4255) | | Half Masks and Full Masks | Respiratory Protection | Personal Protective PPE | Protec Direct

They are all rated for particulates and vapours but there are 3 types

FFA1P2D Organic Vapour and Particulate Respirator,

FFA2P3D Organic Vapour and Particulate Respirator,

FFABE1P3D Organic Vapour / Inorganic & Acid Gas / Particulate Respirator.

I've tried doing some research as to what the standards relate too but as far as I can tell they will all stop the toxic vapours and particles but at differing percentages.

As you can see I'm going round in circles!!

I really need one that works as I've had some chest issues recently with a deflated lung, which is recovering OK, but would like to know what do you guys use and do they work OK.

Thanks Colin.

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Evening Colin

Have not access to my mask at the moment but went into it very thoroughly at the time.

Decided to get a dual filter type. Also the one I bought eventually, which is marketed in Jersey by car paint suppliers, has a two stage filter. A simple first filter then a filter in a sealed plastic frame. The filters come in various types & I made sure, I hope, I got the one appropriate for the type of paint I use.

Also make sure that you keep the thing really tight to your face as otherwise the stuff will bypass the filter. Also keep it on until you leave the room or clear the room of fumes. Also I make sure it is kept in a plastic bag when not in use & change the filters regularly. All the things which are obvious but you tend to forget.

Will search out later the make & if I can the filter type.

Laurie

S

Sky Raider

I brought this one, a little pricey but it really does the job.

Twin Respirator & Filter Kit - Machine Mart

Cheers

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mine is from Sealey and is specifically for spraying paint. It's the one with one filter on the front. I got it via work for a good price.

Steve

T

tecdes

Colin the site is Chapsmith.co.uk - Online Catalogue - Contents.

Seems they have problem with their PDF downloading at the moment.

As you have a specific need probably best to ring & ask their advice on the best type of filter to use.

Laurie

R

Richy C

I`ve got a twin filter job , if your unsure try airbrush.com they are very helpful , worth a phone call and they will tell you what you need.

Richy

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the info. everyone, some really helpful stuff there.

Colin.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Got mine from B&Q for £30. well worth the money and is a vapour and dust duel filter job