What is next?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
That's why creating a "group" for each build would be better, you create a public group and anyone can view it, You don't even have to join it if you don't want, just view the posts

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi António. The Idea you suggest is sort of the idea benind the special Interest group, I think.

The GB (Group Build) the idea is to all build the same subject in which ever form you choose. This time it was FW190 and what a mixed batch it has given.

The SIG (special Interest Group) Build would most likely be on a theme where you choose the subject to be build.

If for an example John said the first SIG build the theme was "The war in the Pacific", then you would have free hands to build what ever you like, as long as it was in that theater of war. It could be any thing from the attack on Pearl harbor to the battle for Iwajima. Tank, aircraft, boat a diorama with 100 figures or just a handfull of brave soles raising the flag.

The other possibility behind SIG could of end up as tanks, aircraft, boats or civillian. Rather depends on how and who calls the shots.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I got to agree with Ron on that. Closed forums are not very welcoming to new commers.

How do the other forums you mentioned do it John? Are they closed or open to all?

F

Fenlander

That's why creating a "group" for each build would be better, you create a public group and anyone can view it, You don't even have to join it if you don't want, just view the posts
How exactly would this work John? Sorry but I really know little about how forums are set up.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
How exactly would this work John? Sorry but I really know little about how forums are set up.
I'm not 100% sure myself as I've never used groups, but if you go here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/groups/ you will see there is already a group that is in a GB FW190 category, so I think everyone that wanted to join would create their own group and assign it to the correct category and that's it, I think, if people want to view them they are free to or if you want to follow a specific user or group of users you can join that group, but I'm not sure what other benefits there are to joining.

F

Fenlander

Right. From what I have seen so far, it looks just like a mini forum and may be the solution to the problem of flooding the 'New Posts' or any other part of the main forum.

Ron, I totally understand and agree that there should not be segregation. However, segregation would be a system that only allowed certain people to see certain parts of the forum. By setting up public groups, anyone can join them if they should wish to. They do not have to have permission and they do not have to ask. This is not segregation but organisation and I think it fits in well with the principles of the forum by making things like the group builds separate but still part of the whole thing with no chance of overpowering the main forum.

John. Is there a way of deleting a group? I am thinking along the lines of setting up a few trials but not if they cannot be removed to clean up afterwards.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Yes you can add and delete as much as you want

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
3 months is fine in my opinion. It gives people that may not be able to devote alot of time to a build enough time so that they can join the GB's.

As for the next subject. We have done an aircraft this time and i have noticed that some armour guys have joined in. Maybe we can return the favor and do an armour build next time and in doing so, move into a build area i have never ventured into before.

C

Cov1

Hi folks, hope you dont mind me adding that I would like to join in a GB under the SIG idea as I'm not a flyer or swimmer... lol. (thats if you'll have us) Though I am open to turning my hand to something.

What are the general rules to these GB's, sorry I'm a bit green.

Thanks in advance

Ade

F

Fenlander

Any member can join in the Group Build, which is currently an aircraft but the next one will not be. We still have to decide what subject will be next. Not sure if we will go with the SIG as yet as the GB seams to be enough for most. As we get nearer to the end of this one, we will poll subjects for the next and go with the majority. The current one is still open and anyone can still have a go even if they have finished one already. No limit to the number of kits.

General, if simple, rules here.

C

Cov1

Thanks Graham, I will wait for the next one round and see whats coming up. All the GB FW190's are top notch and my skills are not up to that sort of level, though I dont really do flying machines (unless its a Vietnam wirley bird type thingy). Mind you a AC130 would be nice either in gunship grey or black/camo Viet!!

All the best Ade