What kind of masking tape do you use?

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
About time I started my Seafire, but I want some masking tape.
is there such a thing as..... proper masking tape for plastic models or any old tape?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Don't use any old masking tape, it is too sticky and can damage paint and leave a residue. I use Tamiya tape in different widths. There are other makes of modelling tape.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
TAMIYA TAPE all day long for me !
Although if you're looking at a camouflage design that's something a little more intricate try using "White Tac".... Very malleable, easily cut to shape and leaves no residue what so ever :smiling3:
Andy

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
TAMIYA TAPE all day long for me !
Although if you're looking at a camouflage design that's something a little more intricate try using "White Tac".... Very malleable, easily cut to shape and leaves no residue what so ever :smiling3:
Andy
Cheers Andy.
Funny how people's tastes differ...
I read that someone doesn't recommend Tamiya after I googled it.:surprised:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Tamiya tape (kabuki tape) is a good modelling tape, as Andy says. It’s easy to trim with a sharp scalpel and leaves no residue behind. That said I use a variety of masking tapes depending on use, say kabuki for edging and then ordinary masking tape to tape a paper mask to it for bigger areas.
Paul

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
When i decorated my house, I used "FROG GREEN" masking tape, which didn't leave marked edging.
Is there a "Frog Green" tape for modelling do you think?

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've got some auto bodyshop masking and tamiya tape, I prefer the auto tape, I've found the tamiya doesn't stick to well for me sometimes although I do like the tamiya fine line curve tape.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tamiya all day every day. Their yellow kabuki tape is second to none. Sticks well, easily removed, leaves no residue. If you need thinner strips, stick a strip to a square of picture frame glass, then cut to width using a straight edge and number 11 scalpel blade.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another Tamiya tape user. As with all and any masking the paint should be fully cured and it helps reduce the tackyness of the tape if you pulling between your finger and thumb a couple of times.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Only ever used Tamiya, until recently had one from a shop unbranded, looks just like the Tamiya in colour and works ok . Mind I don't do any masking like some on here.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
For most work I use Tamiya type tape or cut from an A4 sheet of the same material. For camo masking I have a tine of MIG Masking Putty which leaves no residue oil and can be re-used. For general masking for when adding non-slip texture I usually cut thin (0.5mm) lengths to seperate the panels, or for masking my tracks.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
For most work I use Tamiya type tape or cut from an A4 sheet of the same material. For camo masking I have a tine of MIG Masking Putty which leaves no residue oil and can be re-used. For general masking for when adding non-slip texture I usually cut thin (0.5mm) lengths to seperate the panels, or for masking my tracks.
Where on earth do you you get that from, not that local shop you have to wait out side while Yvonne goes in ?

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I’ve got a good stock of Tamiya tape in different widths but have started using regular masking tape too.

I reduce the tackiness of it by sticking it on my forearm a few times before applying it to the model and haven’t had any problems with it yet.

If I need a thinner width I cut it using an Infini cutting mat to get nice straight edges.

Geoff.

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob,
Tamiya!
Although I will qualify that a bit...
I use all the widths from 1 to 18mm. Personally, I am nervous about using the 40mm though. It has a slightly different look to it and it is MUCH stickier. I learned that the hard way on the Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth - I had wrapped it around the struts that join the two wings together and, when I went to take the tape off, I snapped both struts! Easy fixed, but an absolute nuisance.

I will also sing the praises of the Tamiya tape with plastic sheeting. This is Tamiya tape stuck on to semi-opaque plastic film that extends either 150mm from the tape (Item No. 87203**600) or 550mm from the tape (Item No. 87164**640). The brilliant thing with these is that you cover large areas without getting tape tack everywhere, yet can still see what's going on underneath.

Alternatively, use the tapes from the first para above and cut up carrier bags - it's cheaper :smiling3: (just cant see what's underneath then :thinking:)
Regards,
John

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
100% support those who have said Tamiya, I also use the micro Aizu tapes as they are just brilliant for canopies and such.

However as a pensioner on a tight budget I also do use Duck masking tape from B&M when I need to mask large areas, but not direct onto the paint on the model, I use the Tamiya 10mm or 18mm onto the model then duck tape onto the top of the Tamiya tape and paper to fill in big areas. For me this works great and copier paper is cheap as chips well cheaper these days lol...

Also the Infini cutting mats are a great investment as mentioned up above.

One final point when masking on very delicate surfaces is to 'de-tack' the tape by putting on the back of your hand then pulling off again (check for hairs though!! lol if you are Hairy!!)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tamiya tape still does it for me from planes to armour and 1/700 ships. Tried other brands and they left residue especially when the paint is cellulose based. They are premium priced so the methods for large area covered mentioned above is what I do too.

Cheers,
Richard

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks guys.
I understand Tamiya have good models (never had one Though) so their tapes must be decent also.
I'll give them a try.
I do have hairy arms, so have to be careful.
Although I don't mind loosing the grey ones ha ha