What's e best cover for a willy?

First Name
Robert
Hi chaps

I've correctly changed the colour of the Willys jeep and trailer from dreadful xf58 to Xf62 (?correct colour ) now I'm in a it of a tizz with the canopy of the jeep.

Now I know through study there are a lot of correct colours for this some say khaki and some say pale green.

From black and white pics it's hard to tell which is right for approx 1945

I have put some ref pics and would like to know from those who know which is correct time period

Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

I have to be first to say this.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was Condom. :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I have to be first to say this.
The first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was Condom. :smiling3:
Yep my bad for posting ( I'll get knocked off at this rate )

It's just some call it a roof/ tarp/ cover etc so I was not being rude in the slightest. Some pics show it as the same colour as olive drab others show it light green others khaki so I'm a bit mixed up

D

Deleted member 4539

Having been looking at google.

For me I would go with Khaki.

But this is just an opinion,not fact.

PS.I never thought you were being rude for a minute..it was me;)

First Name
Robert
\ said:
In cold weather... a sock! :P
I'd go with khaki too.
Well I've done a base coat of olive drab and it's no right so off it came and I'll now go with khaki Xf 49

S

stuart.c.82

A website I just looked on said they were painted with olive drab BUT the early ones were primed with red primer (sometimes even black primer) which altered the finish colour. The hood colour was suppose to match the olive drab exactly but obviously they didn't take into account the primer darkening the paint so they looked slightly lighter.

D

dubster72

\ said:
A website I just looked on said they were painted with olive drab BUT the early ones were primed with red primer (sometimes even black primer) which altered the finish colour. The hood colour was suppose to match the olive drab exactly but obviously they didn't take into account the primer darkening the paint so they looked slightly lighter.
I think we're talking about a canvas or tarpaulin hood here Stuart. The reason I went for khaki is that the fabric is much more prone to being affected by its exposure to the elements. That would dull the colour down.

S

stuart.c.82

Ah are you actually gonna make a fabric cover as oppose to painted pvc? That genius! Would love to see a photo!

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I think we're talking about a canvas or tarpaulin hood here Stuart. The reason I went for khaki is that the fabric is much more prone to being affected by its exposure to the elements. That would dull the colour down.
Well from my ref with the Italieri kit ( could be wrong but they suggest FS34227 which is pale green. Now as you have said Dubster the weaterhered look would be more a khaki colour that you see on most Willy jeeps and taupe for the trailer so I'm going for the latter colour and if I'm wrong.............. I'm guilty

D

dubster72

\ said:
Ah are you actually gonna make a fabric cover as oppose to painted pvc? That genius! Would love to see a photo!
Why would the cover be pvc? They were canvas in real life, so getting as close to that as possible seems perfectly reasonable to me.

If Robert wanted to ditch the supplied styrene top, he could use various items such as tissue paper to make a more realistic cover.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Why would the cover be pvc? They were canvas in real life, so getting as close to that as possible seems perfectly reasonable to me.
If Robert wanted to ditch the supplied styrene top, he could use various items such as tissue paper to make a more realistic cover.
Out of my league and depth ( way way out

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'd start off with Vallejo "Khaki Green" ..... then a dirty wash should do it Robert.

First Name
Robert
Well bugger me sideways I've gone and done it with the khaki xf49 and I have dry brushed a little anthracite through it very lightly on the creases so this gives the effect of fabric ( the roof was Chris crossed to give canvas anyway ( still needs to be light dressed at the rear cross beam ( once tidied I'll shadow that image.jpeg

Willys not finished but dry fitted roof on for pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I think the colour you have done is about right. :smiling3:
Judging from ref pics I think so too ( tidied the rear of roof up now and dry brushed a little more ( Revell 09 anthracite in the creases

Now to tackle the on board tools, fit windscreen and then start on the stowage for the trailer

image.jpeg

image.jpeg