What's the best airbrush cleaner?

First Name
Robert
hi there I'm using a iwata neo Airbrush and I use testors airbrush cleaner which is ok but ( expensive )I'm looking for a cheaper option ( I have also tried window cleaner diluted 70/ 30 ( 70% being water ) but I still find either testors or my window cleaner mix still not the greatest

I use a variety of paints mainly acrylics tamiya, revell, Vallejo ( vallejo nicest in airbrush ) but still find I spend a long time cleaning so what's a good cheap cleaner that's going to give me more time painting and less time in between paint changes???

L

Laurie

Best I have found Robert is Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner. I have tried half a dozen and for my way of working this is the best. Tried 3 or 4 patent cleaners plus windscreen cleaner. If I have forgotten to clean after a session and paint has dried Vallejo is the only one that will touch it and fast.

For Iwata as they are so fiddly to take apart it is necessary to have a good cleaner. I swish out the cup from any paint then load one cup (smaller cup) of cleaner and blow out. Remove the needle and give another cupful. Then finally another final cup testing at the nozzle to ensure the cleaner is clean.

For Harder and Steenbeck that is different. I dismantle as it is so easy every part and clean with water. Only use aircleaner if I have left it to stick up and for Varnish. Varnish which is notorious for sticking up anything.

Just add not sure about Tamiya which uses a different thinners ie not water.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Like you I use acrylics and I use ordinary methylated spirits for cleaning my AB. It's cheap, effective and easy to find. I got mine from my local Halfords. On the odd occasions I use enamels, white spirit is my thinner and cleaner of choice - again from Halfords. (I got both these ideas from Steve - Stona).

P

Polux

If you use acrylics, one option is:

Have always a bottle or similar with warm water (better if is distilled). Use this water to clean the airbrush and the last step is some drops of the Vallejo cleaner (for me is the best one...).

I usually, as well, leave some drops of cleaner on the airbrush. It private to dry some paint if you haven't done a good clean work....

L

Laurie

\ said:
I usually, as well, leave some drops of cleaner on the airbrush. It private to dry some paint if you haven't done a good clean work....
Yes great idea Pollux I always do that. Saves a lot of problems. The needle and nozzle are then always perfectly clean. Also gives a bit if lubrication.

Laurie

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Yes great idea Pollux I always do that. Saves a lot of problems. The needle and nozzle are then always perfectly clean. Also gives a bit if lubrication.
Laurie
Thanks Laurier just orderd some Vallejo cleaner

P

phalinmegob

yeah , i am with those guys, vallejo airbrush cleaner is great, the best out of about six or seven others that i have tried

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
hi there I'm using a iwata neo Airbrush and I use testors airbrush cleaner which is ok but ( expensive )I'm looking for a cheaper option ( I have also tried window cleaner diluted 70/ 30 ( 70% being water ) but I still find either testors or my window cleaner mix still not the greatest
I use a variety of paints mainly acrylics tamiya, revell, Vallejo ( vallejo nicest in airbrush ) but still find I spend a long time cleaning so what's a good cheap cleaner that's going to give me more time painting and less time in between paint changes???
Using window cleaner is kind of dodge mate the ammonia in it will eat chrome. Just flush with a lot of water after using window cleaner.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another vote for the Vallejo Cleaner.

Flush out first with plenty of water then use the cleaner as this will save you a lot of cleaner.

Ian M

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree with the guys Vallejo cleaner is my choice after a few drops of water/screen wash , I have also started using my ultra sonic cleaner a lot more lately for a deep clean

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Using window cleaner is kind of dodge mate the ammonia in it will eat chrome. Just flush with a lot of water after using window cleaner.
Hi Steve I use the window cleaner but very diluted and use plenty of water to rinse as I find acrylics although good do clog up the airbrush. As suggested by Laurier I have some Vallejo ab cleaver on way. Others say using white spirit is good but as you say I don't want to damage the finish of a/b

L

Laurie

Additional advantage of Vallejo Cleaner, as it has been "cooked" up for acrylics, is its ability to remove acrylic paint. That is mess up a wing or a bit of detail brush on Val. Cleaner then remove with a cleaner wetted rag.

Also those annoying times a bit of acrylic comes away and leaves a patch. Airbrush over it and the edges shine thro even if you have carefully sanded. Take a cotton bud dip in Vallejo Cleaner and (even after sanding) carefully wipe around the edges and you then have a nice flattened surface.

Laurie

First Name
Richard
I tried allot of different mixtures but stopped testing after I used,

View attachment 105491

Great cleaner almost 1 Liter for around 8€

Cheers Richi

172213-9-206-532.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I use enamels and sometimes clean with hot solvents. Here's a picture of my oldest working airbrush.

View attachment 105493

The chrome is long gone, but the brush still works just fine :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1386_zpsm6384wun.jpg

G

Graham D

\ said:
I tried allot of different mixtures but stopped testingtesting after I used,
View attachment 115810

Great cleaner almost 1 Liter for 8€

Cheers Richi
As I use Life Colour paints I also use this one. As others do, I flush with lots of water first and then the ab cleaner.

First Name
Richard
\ said:
Great cleaner almost 1 Liter for around 8€
Hi Steve, John,

I buy it here in Germany at Airbrush city, this shop sells on ebay to but then the product costs 8,45€ for 32 US fluid ounces = 946.352946 ml

LINK

Hope this helps

Cheers Richi

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I use Ultimate modelling Products Airbrush cleaner and paint thinner. This is excellent stuff. It is a relatively new company, but they are producing some excellent tools and mediums. Since you are using a neo, I suggest that you steer clear of the cellulose thinners as they will quickly deteriorate your o rings. If you want to use lacquer paints (which I think are the best and most durable airbrushing paint around) get an airbrush with Teflon seals like the Iwata revolution or eclipse. Having this will let you use alclads which is an excellent lacquer metallic effect paint. Having an airbrush with Teflon seals opens up many options of paint

John

Last edited: