Whats the best way to fill a crack.

C

Clivel

Hi

I am building a Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII and I have started painting the fuselage but a crack has appeared along the joint line to the rear of the rear gunner. This is only the third model I have built since returning to the hobby after a break of over twenty years. I think I have seen somewhere that it can be filled with PVA glue diluted with water. Is this correct? Or are there any other ideas or is there a better sulotions?

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Have you tried Tipp-Ex Correction Fluid? Been told it's great for hairline cracks and sand's down nice too.

John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whatever you use you are going to have to rub it down afterwards. Tippex works for small gaps though you may be better off with a putty. I use mainly the Tamiya one. The only ones I would steer clear of are the Squadron putties (of course someone else will love them!). Once you have applied your putty you can smooth it and remove almost all the excess with a cotton bud moistened with any acetone containing nail varnish remover. (Ladies section again). You might also try some CA glue (superglue). It comes in various viscosities and fills small gaps well. Just be sure to rub it down before it completely cures as it will become harder than the surrounding plastic. Big plus is zero shrinkage.

Steve

C

Clivel

Thats one of the things I am concerned about that during the sanding I lose all the deatils that I wild find diffecult to replace.

I am greatful for all the advice I get.

Thanks

Clive L

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi again Clive,if it is a very small gap try Tippex as per Centurion's original response. You may get away without any sanding but just a quick rub with a bit of denim or similar. The same goes for filler and nail varnish remover. I'd be wary of CA if the gap is very small,you can make a bit of a mess with it....ask me how I know.

Preserving detail around seams is always a bit of a challenge!

Good luck

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Clive,

If it's only a hairline crack, you might try some liquid glue - not the Revell Contacta type, but the really thin stuff! Just a touch from a small brush and it will 'capillate' along the gap. A little pressure for a few seconds and it will fuse the two sides together.

Gern

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Hi Clive,If it's only a hairline crack, you might try some liquid glue - not the Revell Contacta type, but the really thin stuff! Just a touch from a small brush and it will 'capillate' along the gap. A little pressure for a few seconds and it will fuse the two sides together.

Gern
I second Gern's reply, recently used Plastic Weld, it is fantastic stuff. But there are other makes on the market. Derek

C

Caledonia

Hi Patrick, Your attachment would not open, but I attach an earlier photo for my 'Where Eagles Dare' Aircraft which shows the bottle. Let me know if you need any more info. Cheers Derek

View attachment 22214

8-Ju52..jpg

Last edited: