Wheel hubs, the fast way!

First Name
Adrian
I picked this little tip up from another site and thought some of you may want to try it if you haven't already.

My pictures don't show it as I had already started to paint in the wheels before I saw the post but the entire tyres are painted your preference in colour, I use Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black.

The circle template is then used to find the right size diameter and then masked off around the relevant choice.

View attachment 90313

View attachment 90314

You can use a little blutack to hold the wheel in place if you don't fancy holding it in place yourself.

Make sure you spray it straight on then remove the tyre.

If like these tyres the rims are recessed a little you may get some over spray on the rubber of the tyre, simple make a thin wash of the colour your using and let the capillary action take the paint to the wheel rim edges.

View attachment 90315

View attachment 90316

I honestly think its so much faster than having to carefully paint in the rims or taking ages making masks.

Adrian

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Yes Ade a great tip I've being using this method for a while now after coming across this stencil one day in whs I did share a few weeks ago on someone's thread a great time saver with nice crisp results for all who are not doing this go get yourself a stencil and do wheels in seconds.i just put my wheels onto a piece of kitchen towel hold stencil over wheel using finger pressure spray, dry with hair dryer flip it over and repeat I haven't timed myself but I reckon less than a minute a wheel. The ones in my pic have had a dry brush and wash added also using the stencil which prevented the wash going on the tyre View attachment 90317

image.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think it was on here you saw it Ade. The other forum must have nicked it off us :smiling3:

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
There are other forums ?!!

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
There are other forums ?!!
Hard to believe I know but it is a really useful site for me for video tutorials and reference builds and he now holds a live show every Tuesday night.

Adrian

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice tip Adrian, thank you, i have been using that way for a bit, forget who,said it maybe Aaron or Polux,

sorry if i have the name wrong :confused: :D

L

Laurie

I have just used another way for the first time Adrian. Thin Revell anthracite 50% (for the tyre black) then just trickle with a brush down the sides of the tyre. The paint runs into the rim of the tyre. After it has dried paint the remainder with normal paint thickness and the painful cutting in to the rim with paint is not necessary.

Got that tip also from here somewhere.

Agree on Flory some good tips and they are demonstrated in film which is 1000% better than reading how to do it.

Pity that no one has produced any demonstration film work.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I have just used another way for the first time Adrian. Thin Revell anthracite 50% (for the tyre black) then just trickle with a brush down the sides of the tyre. The paint runs into the rim of the tyre. After it has dried paint the remainder with normal paint thickness and the painful cutting in to the rim with paint is not necessary.Got that tip also from here somewhere.

Agree on Flory some good tips and they are demonstrated in film which is 1000% better than reading how to do it.

Laurie
I use Laurie's method.Think I remember Tony (Yak face) demonstrating it on here.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

That is a really great method. However, For people who don't have airbrushes, just run some thinned paint around the wheel hubs, letting the capillary action take it round the wheel. The same is done for the inside, and the rest is painted

John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I have just used another way for the first time Adrian. Thin Revell anthracite 50% (for the tyre black) then just trickle with a brush down the sides of the tyre. The paint runs into the rim of the tyre. After it has dried paint the remainder with normal paint thickness and the painful cutting in to the rim with paint is not necessary.Got that tip also from here somewhere.

Laurie
What's this Laurie? Use of a weasel stick? Good tip, think I will try that.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:

Laurie
Whoops! Just saw your post and I just repeated what you said :smiling3:

John

First Name
Adrian
Your all missing the speed issue, you spray the entire wheel what ever black you prefer, few seconds to dry, then hold the wheel under the hole and spray the hub, done, simples, no need to paint and wait on tyre then carefully use a thin colour to fill in.

Adrian

L

Laurie

Yes Joe and John. A very senior moment. :oops: I let my self down. The mantle slipped. Two compressors the old one and the new one both sitting there who would not use a stick.

Adrian my adopted method is only for those who have a series of broken compressors. o_O

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice tip...off to get one, thanks Adrian.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Yes Joe and John. A very senior moment. :oops: I let my self down. The mantle slipped. Two compressors the old one and the new one both sitting there who would not use a stick.Adrian my adopted method is only for those who have a series of broken compressors. o_O

Laurie
Oh god yeah, what you on now, 6? 7? It sure gives some compressors a bad name :sad:

Adrian

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You still got your camera gear Laurie?

Si:smiling3:

L

Laurie

Adrian 5 at the moment no6 should arrive probably Thursday.

Sold all 4 video cameras Si. After filming over 100 weddings not interested in filming any more. But seriously we do need some film work here as it is so much easier to pick up techniques in demonstrations. Pauline has a video camera may have a go some time.

Did not quite understand your quote Adrian !

Laurie