When or how do you cull your completed models?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm just wondering if people can be as brutal as required, eventually consigning completed models to the bin.

I have once again reached breaking point. All available display shelves are replete with models and the final refuge, the top of the cupboard in my model area, now looks more crowded than most aviation museums:

P1010744.JPG

Something will have to give!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Apart from my first ever model I have no attachment to them so will throw out the overspill without batting an eyelid. I might pick a diorama clean for parts I can reuse in the future, but some have gone in the bin the moment I've finished them.

However..... I've recently noticed the crazy amounts of money finished models can go for, so I may start listing some on ebay. If any sell I can put it towards other kits.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Get em on ebay steve , people will go mad for models of this quality . I recently offloaded a load of mine that had been sat in the garage for years , bought me a new watch with the proceeds :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I find ways to store them :smiling3: In cardboard boxes in the attic if need be, but I’ve never thrown away a model I’ve built.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Get em on ebay steve , people will go mad for models of this quality . I recently offloaded a load of mine that had been sat in the garage for years , bought me a new watch with the proceeds :thumb2:

I've never considered selling them. Maybe that's something to look in to.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Even my amateurish attempts sell on ebay so you should have no problems Steve. Packing them is a problem - I've had a couple of buyers who've been willing to collect but the great majority need posting.
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have in the past ditched/binned a few that have over the years broke bits off or are just generally bad/sorry looking.
But I to have reached the point where space is at a premium.
I have tried last year to bin a few but I must admit found it quite hard to choose!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I had a cull recently and gave most of my 1/48 aircraft to my nieces son.
He’s six and very interested in aircraft so was very pleased.

Geoff.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I use the plastic storage boxes I get from my local DIY shop. 35x55x25mm Usually I buy a bulk lot of 10 and get a good discount. And then these go up into the loft. And tell SWMBO that it is her inheritance - then she can have the fun selling them on Evilbay along with their selling fees.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have had several culls, the biggest two being when moving home. The first time I gave a lot to a museum as a friend of mine asked for them. The second time I basically binned those that I was less pleased with and those that had parts break off that I could not be bothered to repair. Now I still have lots of room for more builds but when I do cull it will be the 1/48 going first and those 1/32’s I am less pleased with.

For me the enjoyment is in the build not the displaying.

As for selling them, no quite frankly I cannot be bothered. I don’t need the money and it’s just too much trouble.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've never considered selling them. Maybe that's something to look in to.
Steve,

I see them quite regularly on Fleabay....and none are as good as yours, so you never know.

Also the museum donation is an idea on case you have any near you.

Again great work on those two Hurricanes.

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andy
Since returning to model building I have never binned a completed model although I have binned a few during the course of construction for one reason or another. Having said that, my storage space is rapidly filling up so something will have to go soon. Perhaps I will see if any of my mates want them as I could not go through the hassle of trying to sell them as in my opinion they are nothing special compared to others I have seen.

Andy.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm with Richard, it just wouldn't be right to toss any of my little treasures. Each one tells a story and many are unique, as there are no kits available for me to build another example down the road......nah, I'll keep em all and add more display cabinets as necessary.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Never have trashed any. Some models are in their third or fourth iteration of various improvements as I become aware of them or the mood strikes..

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yup, like the other day when the event chief judge told me as a kid he remembered one of my early dioramas was responsible in getting him into the hobby even naming the title which I had almost forgotten. Sadly that dio got damaged in a flood but I rescued the tanks and still have it.

Cheers,
Wabble

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Who would want a dio, plus's the hasel of packing ..
So into the attic in its box along with others.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I have this dilemma, no more room.

Really haven't a clue, I'd rather give them away then bin them.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
  • Wow