When or how do you cull your completed models?

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Sometimes I use my models as a presents to friends and relatives I know (or hope) they appreciate it.
I still have some space on the shelves in my modeller's cave and my build rate is rather low, so no crisis is foreseen in the near future.
For the far future, wife has already found some Ikea shelves she likes which, according to what she said, will host my future builds; moreover, she already suggested where to place them at home! :smiling:
Happy wife, happy (modelling) life and long live Ikea! ;)
What I built in my late teens was kept in some boxes at my parents'. What was still useable after 40 years is now in my spare parts box.
In my early teens my aircraft models often ended their career in a way Mr. Race and the Vikings would definitely approve (and from the 8th floor to the ground the flight is very long!). :tongue-out3: Tanks usually became a practice target for everything I fancied to experiment.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sounds like me when I was young too, Andrea...My first model was the Graf Spee pocket battleship, from Aurora, back in the 60's. It's life span was less than 2 hours after it was bought. Amazing what happens when you push it out into the water, with lighter fluid burning on the deck, and it lit the fuzes of the fireworks built inside of it.......Big Bang!!!...

Today, I don't have a display problem at all...I never finish building something, so I don't have anything to display!!!...Simple solution really........

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I think it would sacrilege to simply bin some of the excellent models and dioramas I've see on this site.

Give them to interested friends, museums and as we've seen above Ebay them.

I've sold lots of things on Ebay in the past (not models) and it's amazing from interested people are prepared to play for things

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I have seen lots of completed models on ebay (usually at silly prices) but always assumed no one bought them (no appeal to me, I enjoy the building), maybe something to give a go in future as I don't bother displaying mine.