Where can I find silvers to replicate this look?

S

smulx

After looking around for inspiration due to my BSG looking awful, I found this. This is much better looking and more realistic than the paint scheme outlines in the instructions. I want to try and replicate the look but I'm not sure where I can get the correct paints. He used four different shades of Reaper metallic silver, but I don't think these are usually available in the UK. Can anyone suggest where I could find something similar?

Thanks

View attachment 69970

DSCN0199.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Could you clarify whether you are spraying or hand brushing?

Cheers

Steve

S

smulx

I'll just be using a hand brush. I don't have an airspray as I wont get enough use out of it to warrant the cost.

C

CDW

You could replicate that effect with hand painting in citadel silver colours..

A combination of mythril silver, chainmail, and boltgun would do it.

There's also the aclad range of paints that I have no knowledge of but someone else on here will be able to advise.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A tin of Humbol silver and a pot of each of black, blue yellow and green.

Mix a drop or two of the colour to some silver to get the tone you need. Mix a bit of black to make it metal grey, blue will make it steel like... You get the idea.

Alclad are only for airbrushing.

C

CDW

Citadel colours are available in some good model shops and in games workshop.

\ said:
Alclad are only for airbrushing.
See ... I told you someone who know what they're on about would pop in... I've learnt something new today too... I thought they could be brushed on as well .. My mistake :smiling3:

First Name
Adrian
If it were me I would start with a base layer of Leadbelcher, then a wash of Nuln Oil, the highlight it with the dry Necron compound, if you want to add greater depth you can also use the Screaming bell base colour and the Gryphonne Sepia wash. All these are Citadel paints and great for any metal effects.

Adrian

S

smulx

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is my first model so some of this sounds a bit complicated and over my head. I'll visit games workshop and hope they have those different silvers and see how I get on with that.

First Name
Adrian
If you ask the guys in the shop they will most likely give you a quick demo of what to do, just don't expect to get in and out fast as they do love to chat :smiling3:

Adrian