Which one of these ?

B

bikerbart

Hi guys, ive decided i would love to get a model of a Messerschmitt Bf109 "Yellow 14" as flown by the great man himself...Marsellie.

I have seen a couple of kits but would appreciate your input as to which kit best represents this airplane.

I am willing to get aftermarket add on's if required ie photo etched, resin, masks etc so again would appreciate your thoughts on the best stuff available.

I really want to do justice to this model when i finally choose which one. Below i have posted some pics of the stuff i have found so far, again your thought appreciated. Please let me know if there is a better kit than the ones ive photo'd here.

In anticipation....regards Martin. :smiling: PS not worried which scale.

View attachment 24447

View attachment 24448

View attachment 24449

product_thumb[7].jpg

09871-m[1].jpg

product_thumb[5].jpg

F

Fenlander

I personally would go with the Hasegawa as one of the best models I have built was the Revell re box of the Hasegawa MKIX, it is on here somewhere. ICM do make good kits, but better figures (I love ICM figures in 1:48) and one of the first I built was the ICM RAF Mustang, also on here somewhere. Although it built well and caused no problems, the Spitfire was so much better detailed, better than Tamiya or, dare I say it? (Eduard!!!). the Hasegawa looks like it has the figure with it to, based on the box art although it will not be as good as the Aires. So, maybe someone will disagree but it would be the Hasegawa for me.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi martin , i agree with graham the hasegawa would be my choice as it has the figure included. The icm is no doubt an excellent kit too, but youve got to get the figure seperately.If you get the hasegawa ,all youve got to get is a 1/48 kubelwagen for a perfect little dio. cheers tony

B

bikerbart

Cheers for the input guys, the Haegawa does look very very tempting i have to say....will keep you informed, thanks again, Martin.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Easy....Hasegawa. ICM is a fiddle,though a nice model. IIRC it also has external strengthening (Messerschmitt had a few problems with tails parting company with the rest of the machine) which you would need to remove for an F-4.

I reckon those figures are based on the photo I posted in the "Otto" thread.

In my opinion the F is the most beautiful of the Bf109s,it was also the fastest. Later Gs became very heavily armed and armoured,developing all sorts of lumps and bumps which detracted from the fine lines of the Fs. It also damaged their performance.

Here's a picture of Messerschmitt's armoured glass (the F-4 had it) to give an idea of how heavy this stuff was.

Cheers

Steve (sunny Leipzig today,not far from the site of the Erla works in Heiterblick!)

View attachment 24483

me109_armoured glass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bikerbart

\ said:
Easy....Hasegawa. ICM is a fiddle,though a nice model. IIRC it also has external strengthening (Messerschmitt had a few problems with tails parting company with the rest of the machine) which you would need to remove for an F-4.I reckon those figures are based on the photo I posted in the "Otto" thread.

In my opinion the F is the most beautiful of the Bf109s,it was also the fastest. Later Gs became very heavily armed and armoured,developing all sorts of lumps and bumps which detracted from the fine lines of the Fs. It also damaged their performance.

Here's a picture of Messerschmitt's armoured glass (the F-4 had it) to give an idea of how heavy this stuff was.

Cheers

Steve (sunny Leipzig today,not far from the site of the Erla works in Heiterblick!)
Hi Steve, many thanks for the reply. Your advisce has sealed it for me, it will be the Hasegawa. I am only just learning about the 109's so have a long way to go yet, but i agree the F is simply stunning, the lines are just perfect and the whole aircraft is just balanced wonderfully. It must truely have been an amazing aircraft to fly.

The pic with the armoured glass is amazing, the sheer thickness of that is mind blowing, it certainly gives a sense of just how heavt the G's must have been.

Hope Leipzig is treating you well, safe journey and many thanks indeed for your ever brilliant input, regards Martin.