Which primer, if any ?

S

Stevekir

\ said:

2. For re-chroming the odd piece in Alclad II, I assume a good primer would be their Alclad II Grey Primer and Filler. Would this perhaps also be a good primer to work with acrylic top coats?

I'd much appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Graham.
I investigated Alclad II chrome ("Shiny chrome" I think it is called) and asked them whether a primer was needed for that. The answer was "No. Just use the recommended Alclad black base."

D

dougie

\ said:
Hi everyone,
I'm just getting back into modelling after a gap of nearly sixty years (!) and am wondering about primers.

I've just ordered my first Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush and the Iwata Power Jet PRO compressor and can't wait to try them out and practice, practice, practice.

My questions are twofold, as follows:-

1. For top coats in acrylic paint, that is, initially Humbrol for my first project but then thereafter Tamiya, what primer would you recommend, please? And

2. For re-chroming the odd piece in Alclad II, I assume a good primer would be their Alclad II Grey Primer and Filler. Would this perhaps also be a good primer to work with acrylic top coats?

Regards,

Graham.
Alclad chrome needs alclad gloss black base. The better and smoother the basr/primer finish the shinier the finish. You use very little chrome over the black this the primer/base needs to be well done for a top finish. Something I have just learned with a practise model and other guides.

You should prime for the best finish in minimal coats, some paints are not as opaque and some require a specific colour underneath to advice the exact colour match without using a gazillion coats.

Systems such as alclad require specific primers for specific paints and effects in their range and they have guides on line

Last edited:
G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
I investigated Alclad II chrome ("Shiny chrome" I think it is called) and asked them whether a primer was needed for that. The answer was "No. Just use the recommended Alclad black base."
Hello Steve,

Ah, that's very useful info; many thanks !

Sometimes, the chrome parts of a kit can be poorly made and in my view it seems senseless to "spoil the ship for a halfpenny-worth of tar". A quick wet-and-dry paper sanding and re-chroming might make all the difference. I had read that Alclad II Chrome is just the job for this and I'm delighted to know now that their Black Base is all that's required for an undercoat -- makes the job even simpler! ;)

Very many thanks, Steve, for picking up on the final remaining unanswered part of my question...

There's so much to learn...:confused:

Regards,

Graham.

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
Alclad chrome needs alclad gloss black base. The better and smoother the basr/primer finish the shinier the finish. You use very little chrome over the black this the primer/base needs to be well done for a top finish. Something I have just learned with a practise model and other guides.
You should prime for the best finish in minimal coats, some paints are not as opaque and some require a specific colour underneath to advice the exact colour match without using a gazillion coats.

Systems such as alclad require specific primers for specific paints and effects in their range and they have guides on line
Hi Dougie,

Very useful to have your feedback, Dougie; many thanks.

Although you don't exactly say so, it sounds like you are pleased with the results of your use of Alclad II Chrome on your practice model.

Good to have your pointers there on its use -- it's always a tremendous help benefiting from someone's hands-on experience.

Regards,

Graham.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Alclad only needs the gloss black primer under the highly polished finishes. I haven't looked recently, but they did make this clear on their web site. I us a normal grey primer under most typical natural metal finishes, in my case usually versions of aluminium.

Rather than buying several slightly different shades of a relatively pricey product you can tint Alclad with a drop or two of gloss black (or white) to give some variation, as in the panels on the bottom of this Ta 152. You can then spend the money saved on a nice bottle of wine, or whatever takes your fancy :smiling3:

View attachment 113445

There did used to be problems with Alclad's own gloss black primer but I understand that these are now resolved. I used good old Humbrol gloss black on my model above but there are caveats. The primer, whichever you use, must be completely dry and cured before applying the Alclad. I left mine about a week. Alclad is lacquer based and the solvent is quite 'hot'. It will react with some primers to create a nasty looking crazing or orange peel effect. For the same reason you must mist the Alclad on in light coats. If you actually wet the primer with too much Alclad you will be in trouble. To this I can testify from first hand experience :smiling3:

Natural metal finishes are not difficult in my opinion. There are several options out there nowadays and they all seem to give results we would have died for twenty years ago! The trick, just like painting your living room, is to get the preparation right. Natural metal finishes do tend to show up even the slightest flaw in the plastic or your techniques.

Cheers

Steve

US_web_zpsa9j96f94.jpg

D

dougie

\ said:
Hi Dougie,
Very useful to have your feedback, Dougie; many thanks.

Although you don't exactly say so, it sounds like you are pleased with the results of your use of Alclad II Chrome on your practice model.

Good to have your pointers there on its use -- it's always a tremendous help benefiting from someone's hands-on experience.

Regards,

Graham.
Even with my poor gloss finish on the discs it came up quite good. I did one with too much chrome to see where the effect stopped and became flat. It happens quickly. I didn't use scrap as I won't lose sleep on a disc on a practise car at the moment haha

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
Alclad only needs the gloss black primer under the highly polished finishes. I haven't looked recently, but they did make this clear on their web site. I us a normal grey primer under most typical natural metal finishes, in my case usually versions of aluminium.
Rather than buying several slightly different shades of a relatively pricey product you can tint Alclad with a drop or two of gloss black (or white) to give some variation, as in the panels on the bottom of this Ta 152. You can then spend the money saved on a nice bottle of wine, or whatever takes your fancy :smiling3:

View attachment 124497

There did used to be problems with Alclad's own gloss black primer but I understand that these are now resolved. I used good old Humbrol gloss black on my model above but there are caveats. The primer, whichever you use, must be completely dry and cured before applying the Alclad. I left mine about a week. Alclad is lacquer based and the solvent is quite 'hot'. It will react with some primers to create a nasty looking crazing or orange peel effect. For the same reason you must mist the Alclad on in light coats. If you actually wet the primer with too much Alclad you will be in trouble. To this I can testify from first hand experience :smiling3:

Natural metal finishes are not difficult in my opinion. There are several options out there nowadays and they all seem to give results we would have died for twenty years ago! The trick, just like painting your living room, is to get the preparation right. Natural metal finishes do tend to show up even the slightest flaw in the plastic or your techniques.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,

LOVE the subtle look of that paneling! Makes it look so REAL, which of course is the intention...

For me, this is a very informative once again in terms of what can be achieved. Many thanks...

Regards,

Graham.

S

Stevekir

\ said:

Cheers

Steve
The underlined part of your post (press "Click to expand"). You might remember my posts several (possibly many) months ago about my persistent blocking of my H & D airbrush using Vallejo acrylic paint, after many previous successful airbrushings for the previous year or more. One poster gave me a clue: I had been using Tamiya synthetic Lacquer a lot. It uses cellulose thinners as the solvent and cleaner. The poster mentioned that such a lacquer can cause blocking. I had cleaned the nozzle very thoroughly every time, including soaking and using a reamer. I had to buy a new nozzle and aircap. Before using the Lacquer I had also used Alclad II (shiny?) Chrome. I am very hesitant to use either of those again.

What is you experience please of using Alclad II concerning airbrush blocking?

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
The underlined part of your post (press "Click to expand"). You might remember my posts several (possibly many) months ago about my persistent blocking of my H & D airbrush using Vallejo acrylic paint, after many previous successful airbrushings for the previous year or more. One poster gave me a clue: I had been using Tamiya synthetic Lacquer a lot. It uses cellulose thinners as the solvent and cleaner. The poster mentioned that such a lacquer can cause blocking. I had cleaned the nozzle very thoroughly every time, including soaking and using a reamer. I had to buy a new nozzle and aircap. Before using the Lacquer I had also used Alclad II (shiny?) Chrome. I am very hesitant to use either of those again.
What is you experience please of using Alclad II concerning airbrush blocking?
Dear Steve,

Interesting question, which I think you meant to direct at "Stona" Steve, as my experience of airbrushing to date is NIL!

But I kinda get your query -- was it perhaps a combination of having previously used Alclad II and then the Tamiya product with suspect cellulose thinners that, despite a thoroughly spotless cleaning effort, there could possibly have been enough residue of both products to cause some sort of exaggerated reaction inside the nozzle of your airbrush...

I'm sure this is something that Steve will have a view on...

Regards,

Graham.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never had any trouble at all spraying Alclads. The product itself sprays like water. It does dry quite quickly and the only thing I use to clean the airbrush is cellulose thinners (lacquer thinners for those across the pond). This is also a 'hot' solvent (actually a mixture of solvents) and can cause problems in some cheaper airbrushes as it will attack their O-rings and seals. I usually use an Iwata airbrush for Alclad, but any other reputable brand will be fine.

lacquer/cellulose thinners certainly will react with certain acrylic paints. I think it was how I managed to turn Xtracrylix into custard on one occasion!

Cheers

Steve

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Hi everyone,
I'm just getting back into modelling after a gap of nearly sixty years (!) and am wondering about primers.

I've just ordered my first Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush and the Iwata Power Jet PRO compressor and can't wait to try them out and practice, practice, practice.

My questions are twofold, as follows:-

1. For top coats in acrylic paint, that is, initially Humbrol for my first project but then thereafter Tamiya, what primer would you recommend, please? And

Regards,

Graham.
This stuff is excellent and cheap. I've given up on acrylic primer, great when it all goes well, infuriating when it doesn't! Since switching, I've had no mishaps.

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
This stuff is excellent and cheap. I've given up on acrylic primer, great when it all goes well, infuriating when it doesn't! Since switching, I've had no mishaps.
Hi John,

Ah, this is great, 'cos it is deliverable to France, unlike most paint products.

Thanks a lot for the good tip. I'll give it a try.

Regards,

Graham.