Why so many........

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Calm down Patrick, not started it yet. Got to finish the 2 aircraft I'm working on first. :D

L

Laurie

That is not my experience Ken with Vallejo.

Model Air 24 hours for reasonable curing. But I can mist coat and then second coat with airbrushing within two hours. Final coat next day including carefully wet and drying.

Hand brush with Model say a 1/48 pilot basic main colours 24 maximum finished.

Not had to wait 48 hours which I agree is not acceptable. Something is wrong to have to wait that time. After two hours Vallejo is touch dry.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 3568

I just think I don't get on with acrylics maybe I amdoing something fundamentally wrong but I've used enamels allmy life with no probs so recon I will just stick with them.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm using acrylics cos they come with the kits I have bought. I'm happy with how things are turning out but I might try enamels in future. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Don't get me wrong I'm not trashing acrylics they work for lots of people just not for me, if you're happy with them great we use all sorts of paint for all sorts of effects water colours, oils, enamels, cellulose, even as has been pointed out to me felt tip pens pastels (which since then I have used a lot) you just have to use what works for you.

L

Laurie

\ said:
The thing about Vallejo is that you effectively need to buy 2 lots of each colour - one for brush painting & one for airbrushing. Not ideal if you're on a budget! ;) And please please can I see pictures of how to wet & dry sand a 1/72 Opel Blitz & PAK 40! :P
Not so Patrick for me, although I have a selection of Model, I use Model Air for both air and hand.

I do think that the best thing for any body deciding on the way to go is to try enamel and acrylics. As both are used by very experienced model makers it is obvious that all have a place and a favourite. Rather silly in this respect to down a type. Better for those who use one or the other to give their personal opinions. Each knows their favourite paint better obviously than the one they do not use.

Laurie

D

dubster72

Then I'm confused Laurie as I understood Model Air to be

' airbrush ready '? I know I couldn't brush paint with anything thin enough for putting through an AB.

And I'm no more putting down a type than you are (as ever), extolling the virtues of Vallejo paint! I use Vallejo because I have some, but I'd not buy anymore - just my personal choice.

First Name
Richard
\ said:
The thing about Vallejo is that you effectively need to buy 2 lots of each colour - one for brush painting & one for airbrushing. Not ideal if you're on a budget! ;)
Hi Patrick, as Laurie just said, that is not really correct, in the early years of Vallejo, there were no Airbrush series and no panzer aces and those other series they have.

When you thinned the normal Vallejos as follows ''1 drop paint and 1 drop thinner'' you got the consistency of a fat milk that you can spray with the airbrush with the same result as there airbrush range. Difference in there Airbrush range is they are already thinned for you and that's all. And you are right with the ''ready to spray from the bottle'', but I personally like to give it a drop of thinner more so it will flow better.

Important is that you use thinner and no water.

But as I stated before, everyone should find their own holy grail of paint and be confident with it.

Cheers Richi

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie

\ said:
Then I'm confused Laurie as I understood Model Air to be' airbrush ready '? I know I couldn't brush paint with anything thin enough for putting through an AB.

And I'm no more putting down a type than you are (as ever), extolling the virtues of Vallejo paint! I use Vallejo because I have some, but I'd not buy anymore - just my personal choice.
That is fine Patrick no need to be confused. Just do not use Model Air for hand painting it is a free choice. I do as it suits me.

Just to confirm I am not putting down any type. I like Vallejo. Enamels did not suit me. That is no putting down enamels.

Every man to his own. As I have stated try both. Do you not agree Patrick ?

Laurie

D

dubster72

Unfortunately confusion & myself are best buddies! :P

I do agree most heartily! But as Paul's original point was that he's on a budget, buying a colour in Model Colour & Model Air rather defeats the object, does it not? That was my point.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Unfortunately confusion & myself are best buddies! :P I do agree most heartily! But as Paul's original point was that he's on a budget, buying a colour in Model Colour & Model Air rather defeats the object, does it not? That was my point.
Totally agree Patrick ! That is why Model Air will do the trick or to be precise it does for me.

Model Air will allow for me a good quality airbrushed finish. So that is step one.

Hand brushing. Say a pilot 1/48. One coat of all major colours followed by a second after 20mins. If necessary a third in equal time. Wait say two hours and finish your figure with finer paint detail.

One of the things I find here is that the thinness of Model Air can be used (often thin more) to give for instance relief in the folds of the clothing. Found that Model is so lifeless, for this work, compared to Model Air.

But as ever the proof of the cliched pudding is in the eating.

Laurie