Wildcat/Martlet question

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So I have a couple of new 1/48s for the stash. One is the rather battered sword GM fm2 wildcat/martlet. I have noticed on closer inspection that I have a upper piece of wing a engine and nose cone missing.

My question is if I can source a 1/48 hobby boss fm2 wildcat for example, can I mix and match? I am planning to do a late wwII martlet

Thanks in advance

Phil

View attachment 115659

image.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

hurricane- gets a thumbs up from me. In my opinion however, will benefit from using an RAF seabelt set

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
So I have a couple of new 1/48s for the stash. One is the rather battered sword GM fm2 wildcat/martlet. I have noticed on closer inspection that I have a upper piece of wing a engine and nose cone missing.
My question is if I can source a 1/48 hobby boss fm2 wildcat for example, can I mix and match? I am planning to do a late wwII martlet

Thanks in advance

Phil
Tamiya's wildcat is probably the best in terms of fit- and their 1/48 aircraft are really good in terms of ease of fit.

If you want any reference from the Smithsonian, I was there recently, and can give you some pics

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/tam/build_tam_61034.shtml

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
hurricane- gets a thumbs up from me. In my opinion however, will benefit from using an RAF seabelt set
Yeah, I may go whole hog on that one john, I see eduard do a big ed package for it

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Yeah, I may go whole hog on that one john, I see eduard do a big ed package for it
Careful on those. Only get detail parts which will be seen. If they don't you're wasting your money. I only get big eds where I am showing the guts and internals of the aircraft, which I have only done 3 or four times

John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi guys

So I received this today, hobbyboss' 1/48 fm-2 wildcat, as you may have seen I recently got my hands on a sword fm-2 wildcat/martlet which had some pieces missing hence buying the hobbyboss.

The kit looks great and has far better detail than the sword, so I'm not sure how to approach the build, I have heard that the hobbyboss doesn't make for a good martlet.

Does anyone know why this is? Shall I mix and match what I have? Where's the best place to look up a reference for a martlet?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 116371

image.jpg

D

demon

I recently built a 48 tamiya wildcat and I would say it's got to be as good as their mustang kit for fit if not better

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I recently built a 48 tamiya wildcat and I would say it's got to be as good as their mustang kit for fit if not better
Fully agree. Tamiya wildcat is superior and is arguably the best in 1/48

John