"Wimpy" Vickers Wellington

T

tecdes

Really dropped myself in it. My biggest project so far. There are some 600 pieces so here we go. 1/48 about 22 inches (550mm across) length approx the same. Some interesting logistic problems during construction & on completion. Remarkable aircraft in similar ways to the Spitfire being in production from the start to finish of WW11. Designed by Rex Pierson Vickers chief designer at that time assisted by Barnes Wallis who designed the geodesic aluminuim lattice type frame work. Started already & the precision of the parts is something to be believed. Pegs line up in holes perfectly & pieces slot together so far perfectly. After my Revell Mosquito this is a revelation. Laurie

View attachment 43959

View attachment 43960

View attachment 43961

View attachment 43962

View attachment 43963

View attachment 43964

View attachment 43965

P2150032.jpg

P1250315.jpg

P2150027.jpg

P2150028.jpg

P2150029.jpg

P2150030.jpg

P2150031.jpg

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Off to a cracking start there Laurie. Is this the Trumpeter kit?

Gern

V

Vajled

wow... great start... I will follow this with pleasure

Roman

T

tecdes

\ said:
Off to a cracking start there Laurie. Is this the Trumpeter kit?Gern
Yes it is Dave. Been using mainly Revell so far. Trumpeter is a few tads more expensive. This one I got for about £35 including postage which I thought for the huge package of stuff was good value. Very impressive all the sprues are package in their own plastic. Very good clear instructions. Paint colours & finished internally are sparse in the instructions. I have also had great difficulty finding out all this info. Think I have most of it reasonably accurate. Very few photos & those there are are mostly black & White. Amazing when you think that just under 12,000 were constructed & the info on the Lancs. where just over 7,000 were constructed.

But it is all part of the "fun" putting together the info.

Laurie

T

treyzx10r

Awesome start Laurie, looking forward to seeing more! This is on my to do list ca'nt wait to see it go together!

P

Plastickitbasher

Stunning start looking realy good, I'm going to watch this one. Keep up the good work

First Name
Dave
A good start Laurie.The fit of parts really is good.I think i only used two smears of filler on mine.My only criticism of the kit is the red is too bright on the decals.Superb kit though despite that.You'll have fun fitting all the bomb doors if you have them open like i did.

T

tecdes

Morning Dave. Yes after much searching will have bomb doors open. Will be hanging from the beam in the conservatory so a full view.

Decals already have replacements. Am fascinated to find if you found the same finishes as I did. See I am going to have fun finding an acceptable to the eye pink for the doped linen.

Apologies all for the terrible photos in my original piece. Here are the worst in reasonably acceptable form. The seat belts. Not a fan of addons but looked bare so first time for Edouard. Goodness very fiddly but they look OK. Worth it probably not as you will need magnifiers to see them. But in terms of building the model & satisfaction yes.

Also going to set up a photo screen which will show the finished interiors to remind me from time to time.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.View attachment 40195View attachment 40196View attachment 40197

Laurie

View attachment 43981

View attachment 43982

View attachment 43983

P2150030.jpg

P2150031.jpg

P2150032.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great start Laurie, deffo on my watch list.

Back in the mid. 60's, the bloke I served my time with as a joiner, helped build the Wellington at Broughton nr, Chester (now Aerospace) One of his jobs was fitting the timber 'battens' to the metal skin, prior to the fixing of the Irish Linen outer fabric.

At Broughton, they were building around 50 a month at the start, this increased to 130 in 1942.

As a propaganda excercise one came off the production line at Broughton in Oct. 1943 in 23hrs.50mins, and airborne less than an hour later!

Good luck with the build.

Ron

First Name
Dave
I had trouble deciding on a colour for the interior.The instructions are not very helpful here.i ended up painting it interior green.Cant see much on the finished model anyway.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Another build that I have missed. This is a fantastic build so far, beautiful wood effect in the office Laurie.

Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Thanks Vaughan. Wood effect thanks to you & a few others. Concocted it from all the answers given.

Her in doors thought it was good. She creeps into the garage when I am not there & inspects. Just off to inspect her plants.

Laurie

A

andyrobs

Hi Laurie, looking great mate, I too will be following this one!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
An interesting build. But 22 inches...........wow..

Colin M..

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Some nice detail in the kit, going to look great when she's finished.

Have fun, John

PS, Ron did you watch the programme a good few months back about the factory workers and Wellington?

T

tecdes

Got a bit further but I am not fast.

The black which looks black is in fact Vallejo Black Grey. Up against Jet Black it looks dark grey.

The Clear parts of the Turrets are masked but the the tape lining against the metal framing lines is very light fawn & shows up not nearly at all.

On to the inside of the fuselage now which it must be 50 pieces to be fitted. Shame as they will be difficult to see on completion. Perhaps I should install a couple of small Christmas tree lights inside the fuselage ?

Most pieces are a very good fit so far the best I have had so far in my 8 attempts. Bit of a struggle on the engines & had to adapt but the remainder fits like a glove.

Laurie

View attachment 40980View attachment 40981View attachment 40982View attachment 40983View attachment 40984

View attachment 44643

View attachment 44644

View attachment 44645

View attachment 44646

View attachment 44647

enginePIECES.jpg

multiENGINES.jpg

CLOSEengine.jpg

GunTurretts.jpg

gunTurrett2.jpg