"Wimpy" Vickers Wellington

M

mobear

you are doing an outstanding job,illumination inside now i like that idea

mobear

D

dubster72

Good to see it coming along so well Laurie. Nice work on the engines & turret assemblies, it is a shame so much detail gets hidden, but at least we know it's there!

Cheers

Patrick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice engine and turret detail Laurie. The masking has come out well.

Vaughan

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Didn't see this one when it started, but what a cracking build so far Laurie.

I saw the program about the 24 hour build and it was facinating.

If you manage to get some lights into your wimpy you might start a fad,as most of the builders here, me included, put so much effort into the internals of our aircraft, and when they are shut up nothing can be seen. Hope you manage it as I would love to see how it turns out.

Keep up the good work.

Tony.

T

tecdes

Yes have been thinking about the lights. They must have had some illumination for instance when they boarded the aircraft. Must have been done before.

Perhaps a muted red as in dark room work. Anybody know what they had in this direction ie please illuminate me. Her in doors would like to at times : with a match.

Laurie

T

tecdes

So slow progress but finished the interior. All a shame not to be seen again but fun to construct. Going to have a photo frame with all the interiors running on my model expose.

The amount of stuff available for detail is very limited & most of the first Wellington. Also the model manufacturers found the same difficulty as there is not much inf.So have pieced together using that detail a bit of logic & imagination.

If you can enlighten me on the following. The red "missiles", the black cylindrical thing mid fuselage (to launch the "missiles ? ). Also the long black slat things on both sides connected to some boxes. Perhaps something to do with the rear turret. One thing this model illustrates what a tail end charley existence he had. Escape not much chance. Or could the turrett in an emergency swing around & let him exit through the turret doors ?

Laurie

View attachment 42187View attachment 42188View attachment 42189View attachment 42190View attachment 42191View attachment 42192View attachment 42193

View attachment 45564

View attachment 45565

View attachment 45566

View attachment 45567

View attachment 45568

View attachment 45569

View attachment 45570

overall.jpg

clamps.jpg

rearFuselage.jpg

rearFUSELAGEtext.jpg

missiles.jpg

closeCOCKPIT.jpg

cockpit & missiles.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking great Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
This looking fantastic Laurie great attention to detail.

Vaughan

D

dubster72

That's really excellent work there Laurie, very clean build with all that lovely detail.

Can't help with your questions though!

Cheers

Patrick

First Name
Michael
Superb work Laurie, this build is really great to watch, looking forward to more.M

First Name
Dave
The long black slat things are ammo feeds from the ammo boxes in the rear fuselage to the rear turret guns.

M

mobear

i thought they were slides for when crew got bored lol,awesome job des real nice

mobear

T

tecdes

\ said:
The long black slat things are ammo feeds from the ammo boxes in the rear fuselage to the rear turret guns.
Thanks Dave. I half guessed. Which was a better one than Ole's. Tut.

I half guessed but wondered as the front turret does not, at least in this model, have these ammo feeds. Also wondered as the turret turned how this could possibly works as a feed.

Thanks all for your comments very nice after all that work.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
I dont know the technical details of how the feeds to the guns worked.But i would be very interesred to know if someone can enlighten us?.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent work Laurie, I've been quietly watching your cracking build from day one.

As I posted at the start of you thread, the bloke I served my time as a joiner with, was a foreman building these aircraft and he was one of the people who gave up their free time to build the 24hr Wellington.....Something he never got tired of telling anyone who brought WW2 up in conversation, and why not?

Cheers,

Ron