Wooden submarine decks

First Name
Michael
Hi, I purchased a very bad made Engel u177 submarine. It had been been painted in thick silver Hammerite type paint with a blue deck. I have been able to remove the paint, but the wooden deck was bey saving. I have seen lots of pictures of submarine decks. Most show the deck having a series of drain holes and that the upper gun position was made of sections like gratings. Can anyone please let me know the following. Was the subs main deck just made up of wooden planks without drain holes. And was the area around the mg position indeed made up of gratings and are they wooden or steel. Thanks.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
i, I purchased a very bad made Engel u177 submarine. It had been been painted in thick silver Hammerite type paint with a blue deck. I have been able to remove the paint, but the wooden deck was bey saving. I have seen lots of pictures of submarine decks. Most show the deck having a series of drain holes and that the upper gun position was made of sections like gratings. Can anyone please let me know the following. Was the subs main deck just made up of wooden planks without drain holes. And was the area around the mg position indeed made up of gratings and are they wooden or steel. Thanks.
Michael,
U-177 was a type IXD2 uboat - one of the large, long range subs I can't find any real pictures of the decks, but this may help
Typ-IXB-modell-583x354.jpg
I think the deck would have been painted grey, but there seems to be a lot of planking!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The decks were wooden slats, spaced slightly apart to allow for water drainage.
Teak was first used then inferior timber had to be used for later boats.
For a bit of protection, these timbers were usually painted Dk. Blue, which faded to a grey/blue when weathered.