WW2 RAF Colours

First Name
Dave
Ive looked on the internet for Vallejo Air paint colours that match WW2 RAF dark green and dark earth.I've come up with 71.012 and 71.029 For these colours.Does anyone agree or disagree?.And does anyone know if Tamiya XF52 is a good match for dark earth and which Tamiya paint matches dark green?.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Dave I think your spot on with those two colours I have used them in the past.

Vaughan

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use 12 certainly.

Some think that 29 is too dark for dark earth and 30 is a better match. I have used both colours but, in balance, I would go with 30 'Green Brown'.

First Name
Dave
Thanks lads.Ive used enamels for years and am gradually using up what ive got and changing to acrylics.Im very impressed with Vallejo.But its difficult choosing the right colour as they ar not labelled 'RAF dark earth'for instance.Unlike the Xtracolour enamels ive used for years.I know theres an Xtracrylic range,But i like the convenience of the Vallejo Air paints.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Totally agree Dave W. The change is worth it though and the Vallejo range are great to use particularly with the eyedropper system. I spent a lot of time cross referencing the Vallejo range using the FS number quoted on the Vallejo website with another couple of websites. You still have to be a little cautious and some FS numbers do not tie up cleanly, but it helps. Here are the site links:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/imagenes/cartas-colores-para-web-pdf/cartadecoloresMA_web.pdf

Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

I actually find it a lot of fun cross referencing colours and working out what to use this way. Of course colours in real life fade and dirty anyway so there never is a perfect match for any camo colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Dave this site has loads of information

Welcome to Cybermodeler Online!

It is developing with more models but does not have all by any means. But those aircraft that are there have a really well detailed history & is worth looking at for all models.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
Thanks Laurie.I've added that link to my home screen