WWI Green

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As the title suggests, I am looking for a First World War green as used on Royal flying corps aircraft. Humbrol did one they called WWI Green, nr 108 I think, but cant get it any more. The Paint converter Chart does not find a match.

Any one have a good suggestion to an alternative. I have been looking at Vallejo German green grey or field grey, and also US olive drab.

MY real problem is I don't really know what colour I'm looking for...

Ian M

L

Lady_Phoenix

You are going to love this

According to this website

Color Reference Charts -* United Kingdom

Its

47 parts Hu:80 +

19 parts Hu:33 +

17 parts Hu:73 +

15 parts Hu:34

or

Tamiya XF-51?

or

Xtracolor X22

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

It is one of those classic colour arguments again. Some say it is the green side of brown and some say it is the brown side of green. From what I have read, the brown side of green is the most popular accepted colour and Xtracolour X22 seems popular but I don't know which side of the fence it falls.

M

m1ks

The important question here is

what are the odds of a pilot from WWI popping up on here saying, 'now hang on a minute sonny, when I flew these they were a distinctly different shade of browny greeny grey'

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know what you mean M1ks, its just when you don't have any idea; I was not around under WWI either, I have had a fish around on the inter web and there are so many in so many different colours I'm just a bit confused as to which one to go for.

As for that wonderful recipe Penny, I think I will just look at the Xtra X22 and see what that's about!

Ian M

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Ian,if i remember correctly the colour is known as olive drab,certainly the linen covering for flying

models such as solartex is called that. No idea if it differs from the US type. John

W

wanna_be_aviator

Ian, I checked these links and they give some colour samples, at least you can have an idea.

Don Color - Royal Flying Corps - 1916 Temperate Camouflage

JPS MODELL - British Colors

hope this helps

cheers

Marcos

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
PC 10 that's exactly the colour I am after. Its just finding a good enough match. Thanks for that Marcos!!!

how to make PC10;

Lets see for 100 gallons of PC10 dope

260 pounds nitro Cellulose syrup

74 pounds of pigments in the following proportions

40 pounds yellow ochre

30 pounds umber

2 pounds 8 ounces Red Ochre

1 pound 8 ounces Chinese Blue.

Once that lot was assembled it was added to

20 gallons Acetone or Methyl ethyl ketone

15 gallons Amyl Acetate

15 Gallons benzol

15 gallons Methylated spirit

Thanks for the link I'm off to find a match!

Ian M

W

wanna_be_aviator

No prob. By the looks of that recipe if I change a few ingredients around I might end up with a fancy cocktail, do you reckon? ;)

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi again Ian,seeing the last post reminded me of PC10, I'd forgotten it,it has been a few years since I dabbled with them.

If you go to flairmodels.co.uk you will find both olive drab & PC10 in tins or spray cans,they are excellent paints. John