Xtracrylix Paint Questions

S

Stevekir

1. On Xtracrylix paints it states "glossy (decal ready) when dry; "Is it really decal-ready? If so, it would do away with a gloss coat applied specially for the decals (which in practice means everywhere if the smaller "no step" type of decal were included);

2. On the thinner it states: " (... fine with water, Xtracylix thinners or Tamiya thinners). Is water really OK? (It's cheap!)

3. I want the final paintwork to be between matt and glossy — a slight sheen. What varnish should I use (over Xtracrylix paint)?

4. From advice elsewhere on this forum, I will be thinning the paint 50/50. OK?

5. What about the thinning ratio for any varnish that you recommend, and the type of thinner for it?

S

Stevekir

I have just noticed that Xtracrylix make a satin varnish. Is that what I need?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve.

1 I would still apply a gloss varnish over Xtracrylix before decals. At the very least it will give the paint a bit of protection.

2 Xtracrylix is the only acrylic paint I've used often and I always thinned with finest Birmingham tap water (very soft). I also added a drop of Liquitex retardant to the paint cup.

3 I use Vallejo varnish. The satin varnish is exactly that,satin,and should do the job

4 In my experience Xtracrylix needs less than 50: 50 thinning. I'd guess more like 70:30 paint to thinners. You'll have to experiment with this as everyone's set up will be slightly different.

5 I use Vallejo's own "diluant" for their varnish,sometimes with a drop or two of water.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was going to say exactly the same as Steve on all points!

Thanks Steve, saved me having to think about it!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
For ince I toped Fster than yho 1

Stwve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That made me Lol, good one Stwve.

Tony.

N

noble

I've been using this paint on and off and when I thin it I use water but recently I have not thinned it at all, shot it straight through the air brush.

scott