Xtrakit & Airfix 1/72 Vampires - RAF Cold War Fighters part 3

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The next build(s) in this project will be a double billing...........................
Xtrakit Vampire FB.jpgAirfix Vampire T11.jpg
It isn't until you open the boxes that you realise how small the Vampires were!
The Xtrakit Vampire is the reboxing of the 2014 Special Hobby model, the Airfix T.11 tooling dating from 2012
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sprues & detail shots etc - The Airfix T.11
DSCF2374.JPGDSCF2375.JPG
Airfix fuselage is split vertically.................
Two schemes, one a preserved aircraft, or this, from 1962, a good test of masking!DSCF2376.JPG

A few detail shots:DSCF2377.JPGDSCF2378.JPGDSCF2379.JPGDSCF2380.JPG
Parts look pretty clean & crisp, no sink marks or ejector pin towers. Some of the ingates look a big large, so careful removal - The Airfix model has two pilots.....................
Dave

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Xtrakit FB.5 - The Special Hobby model reboxed..............
DSCF2381.JPGDSCF2382.JPGDSCF2383.JPG
Two versions, one silver, the other, which I'm going for a camo version.

A few detail shots
DSCF2387.JPGA DSCF2388.JPG
DSCF2386.JPG
DSCF2389.JPG
Front of the Goblin engine - I doubt if this will be visible!
DSCF2390.JPGDSCF2391.JPGDSCF2392.JPGDSCF2393.JPG
The Xtrakit model has a horizontal split fuselage...................... ( no pilot ). The ingates look a little better placed than the Airfix

Detailing on both models is about the same, and assembly looks reasonably simple
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
They look very interesting Dave. I've also built the Arifix version and it was a nice little kit. Having said that, the Xtrakit seems to have the edge on detail here.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
They look very interesting Dave. I've also built the Arifix version and it was a nice little kit. Having said that, the Xtrakit seems to have the edge on detail here.
Colin,
I would agree with you, looking at the sprues - of course, how much will be visible with the model assembled remains to be seen!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Dave nice little kits but i never could tell the difference between the vampire an the venom ?
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
WELL Dave nice little kits but i never could tell the difference between the vampire an the venom ?
chris
Most Venoms carried wingtip tanks - but, swept back leading edge - 90 degree to fuselage trailing edge is the real visual spot - it also had a DH Ghost Engine, instead of the Goblin
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Most Venoms carried wingtip tanks - but, swept back leading edge - 90 degree to fuselage trailing edge is the real visual spot - it also had a DH Ghost Engine, instead of the Goblin
Dave
oh cheers Dave well ive learnt something today then but which was the better of the two ?
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
oh cheers Dave well ive learnt something today then but which was the better of the two ?
chris
The Venom was a later development of the Vampire, with a more powerful engine. It only had a short service life, as there were better aircraft in the pipeline - the single engine & twin boom configuration had just about reached the limit of it's development for jets - the Sea Vixen was the last gasp of the De Havilland concept
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The Venom was a later development of the Vampire, with a more powerful engine. It only had a short service life, as there were better aircraft in the pipeline - the single engine & twin boom configuration had just about reached the limit of it's development for jets - the Sea Vixen was the last gasp of the De Havilland concept
Dave
WELL I NEVER knew that many thanks dave as they say you learn something every day an its right too cheers for the info
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off and running - these two are so small, it's easy to do the initial assemblies at the same time.................
DSCF2407.JPG
The Airfix T.11 - the vertical split fuselage & full span top wing half may give some seam problems, but the fit is good. Bottom left - the engine intake trunking - with a fan at the top end - which is not going to be visible - as the same with the Xtrakit model! Tailbooms join right into the wing.
DSCF2405.JPG
Xtrakit FB5 - horizontal split fuselage - air trunking moulded into the bottom fuselage, with a fancy front of engine - which won't be seen! The tailbooms join the wing at the trailing edge - after market pilot he might have to be fitted before the fuselage is joined, the cockpit opening isn't that big ( the actual Vampire cockpit was really cramped ).
Interesting the parts breakdown, the next stages will see which is better.
I've decided the FB5 will be the camouflaged version, and I've dug a bottle of fluorescent orange out for the trainer ( I also found a bottle of fluorescent red as well - why I had these I don't know! ). One problem with the FB5 may be finding enough space for weights to prevent tailsitting.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Always thought it was a great looking aircraft. I built the Airfix one twice for the Starter Kit GB a couple of years ago and it is a nice kit.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further progress..........................
DSCF2408.JPG
No major pitfalls, yet, a lot of dry fitting, the intakes on the T.11 are very fiddly. I'll assemble the airframes & see to any seam problems all at the same time. The AM pilot in the FB5 had to have his legs removed below the knee to fit into the cockpit - whether the pilot is a bit big, or the cockpit a little small - who knows!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ohhhhhhhh - my OA has flared up again, so it looks like I won't be getting much bench time in, until it dies down - it's been frosty the last couple of days, don't know if that has any effect - just have to sit back & keep taking the tablets ( and rubbing the gel! )
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ohhhhhhhh - my OA has flared up again, so it looks like I won't be getting much bench time in, until it dies down - it's been frosty the last couple of days, don't know if that has any effect - just have to sit back & keep taking the tablets ( and rubbing the gel! )
Dave
It’s the cold and damp Dave. The quick changes in atmospheric pressures at this time of year don’t help either. My RA has been awful over the last few months despite tweaks to the med regime.
Pity, the build was coming along nicely. It’ll still be there when you’re up to it though :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It’s the cold and damp Dave. The quick changes in atmospheric pressures at this time of year don’t help either. My RA has been awful over the last few months despite tweaks to the med regime.
Pity, the build was coming along nicely. It’ll still be there when you’re up to it though :thumb2:
I might try out the left hand airbrush - I'm at the stage I can do a primercoat anyway - what could go wrong?
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry to hear about the OA Dave, hope it eases very quickly. Shame too as it was coming on nicely.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A
You could hold it the wrong way round and spray your face instead of the model? ;)
Aha - that's why you use a left hand airbrush! :tongue-out2:.
Seriously, it's just as well I'm doing an all over primercoat - I can press down & draw back the airbrush control, but none of the delicacy I can manage with my right hand - just a matter of practice, but 60 odd years of using your strong hand is for precise work is not overcome easily!
Dave