Zvezda 1/72 Ant-5

B

Bari

Started this a while back and thought I would post to give me some motive for getting on with it. There are options to make three variants the Ant-5, the I-4 and the I-4Z. However I am going for the all silver Ant-5 with no decals as after trying the decal for the instrument panel I think I would have great trouble getting the rather stiff things to settle in the corrugations. It's quite a simple kit with only two sprues. So far the fit has been quite good. As you can see it looks a bit chunky around the trailing edges and the locating holes are rather large, still they will allow a bit of latitude when fitting the bits.

View attachment 33933

View attachment 33934

View attachment 33935

View attachment 33936

View attachment 33937

View attachment 33938

View attachment 33939

View attachment 33940

View attachment 33941

View attachment 33942

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What a curious looking aircraft.

Regarding the decals have you considered a decal softener, such as Micro sol. Its liquid that softens the decal and allows it to conform to an uneven surface, and lets face it that surface is uneven!!!

I am quite looking forward to seeing this done as I have never seen one before.

Ian M

B

Bari

Ian I see you are in Denmark, lovely country I have spent many happy days over at Aalborg and Lokken when I was much younger.

I have done a little more, made a start on painting the cylinder heads and have given the fuselage and wing a spray coat of silver, I'm not sure whether to give the non corrugated parts a little polish to give a bit of contrast. If so what would I polish it with. Would toothpase do? The rather large holes to locate the cylinder heads show up well as do the other locating holes it's a pity there are no locating stubs on the parts to fit in them.

View attachment 34129

View attachment 34130

View attachment 34131

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Bari. Not a bad place to live, just a bit expensive. I live just outside Copenhagen on Sealand or the Devils Island as they call it in Jutland.

Regarding the polishing of the silver paint. A lot depends on what paint you have used. In some cases, toothpaste could do the trick. In others it will either have little effect, or it will just remove the paint!!!

Humbrol do some metal colours that can be buffed with a soft cloth and they work very well. Bit late now but you know for next time. :smiling:

Could I ask you where Belper is? I've never heard of it!

Ian M

B

Bari

Thanks for the infomation. As you say it's a bit late now . The paint was an automotive one, Nissan silver to be precise. I've tried the toothpaste but can see no difference. Belper is in the central part of the country just north of Derby.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ah Derby I know! Been there a few years ago, My wife's uncle lived there.

Not an expert on Auto paints, we have a few pro-sprayers on here, maybe one of them can come with a few tips.

Ian M

B

Bari

Still plodding on, front cabane struts where a tad short ang gave the wing a decided negative angle of attack so had to relocate them a touch higher. I had just managed to get it assembled when the phone went and the resulting nervous jump scattered the bits all over the carpet, Now its just a few holes to fill and blend before the undercarriage is attempted. as can be seen the mouldings are a bit thick especially the trailing edges but I didn't want to thin them as the corrugations would be lost and I'm not good enough to redo them.

View attachment 34236

View attachment 34237

View attachment 34238

View attachment 34239

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi bari, ive been watching this one with interest, youve made a cracking job of it! It makes a refreshing change to see something a bit obscure, and ive been thinking about getting one of the early russian fighters for a while,this has made me want one even more! Doesnt look like a bad kit apart from, as you said, the trailing edges being a bit thick but theres nothing you could do without losing the corrugations. It doesnt detract from a super build though, top work ,looking forward to seeing it in the decals. cheers tony

B

Bari

Thanks or the comments. The Ant-5 was the prototype and as such didn't have any markings , but as its looking a bit plain I have stuck a few stars on it, mainly so I can try out Micro Sol on an irregular surface. I will post a couple of pictures when its dried.