Zvezda Yakovlev Yak 6

W

wbk666

It cant be any worse than the encore beaufort can it?

I think i'll probably go with the white finish because i dont have any other plane in white as yet lol

The Instructions come on just one sheet of paper but there isnt an awful lot for them to show you

The other side of the sheet gives some details about the plane

The kit comes on on sprue of sickly green quite hard styrene that has a little flash in places

Except for the sprue with the skies on

and obviously the clear sprue

Decals are not what you'd call extensive

Cockpit detail is non existent so i'll just have to fill it with the two crew provided.

All the fun starts tomorrow :crash:

P

Polux

Have fun with it! Painted in white looks very interesting.

Cheers

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Let us know how the kit fits etc Wayne, I've seen a few Zveda kits for sale and was wondering what they are like. The Yak 6 looks like a Beech18 mated with an Avro Anson.

W

wbk666

I'll try to give a running commentary when i start it later

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely choice of subject wayne , not a very commonly seen model. This is one of Zvezdas very early kits but still looks ok when built , although as you say the decals arent extensive but then again, the real aircraft didnt have much in the way of markings either. Looking forward to seeing this one , cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Never seen one of these before, and never built anything by Zvezda, so I'll watch this come together with interest.

Tony.

W

wbk666

i hadnt seen one before either so when it popped up on ebay and was going cheap i couldnt resist

W

wbk666

right here we go

Inside the cockpit theres nothing, you do get two seats with pilots but nowhere to fit them

The side windows are exactly the same size as the holes they are supposed to cover so they just fall through LOL

I've glues some clear plasticard to them so that they can fit flush on the outside without falling through.

Couldnt find out anywhere what colour cockpit should be so i just used Humbrol 78

i had to make a false floor in the cockpit to raise the crew up so that they'd be able to see out of the canopy

I also had a go at making an instrument panel but the less said about that the better

The wings go together in an "interesting" way which i'll try to show in the lext session

I want to get these gaps filled first though

Whilst looking around the net for help i came across a review of intechs version of this and the sprue looked identical.

First Name
Dave
Looks a bit like an Airspeed Oxford to me.It can be fun and quite satisfying turning a crude kit like this into something half decent.Look forward to seeing more of your build.

W

wbk666

the wheel wells dont have "doors" either though i have read somewhere that some of these planes had the covered with sheet steel when they had skies instead of wheels, so skies it is then haha

thanks

W

wbk666

at close of play today this is how it stands.

more sanding do, engines fitted, tail pieces and rear ski fitted, struts for front skies fitted and bomb mounts fitted.

its been slow but strangly enjoyable.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
the wheel wells dont have "doors" either though i have read somewhere that some of these planes had the covered with sheet steel when they had skies instead of wheels, so skies it is then hahathanks
Some aircraft had fixed undercarriage ,some retractable and some skis. So i imagine when the u/c was fixed or ski the bays may well have been sheeted over , although its more likely plywood like the rest of the airframe.Its looking great now wayne , cheers tony

W

wbk666

Today it got its feet and undercoat

then just before bedtime i game the underside a coat of vallejo rlm 65 which is close enough to the russian blue i think.

W

wbk666

thought i'd give the paint a good 24 hours to dry before masking up so no new work to show tonight :sad:

W

wbk666

masked it up today, sprayed the white coat and then when that had dried took the tape off.

Also did a little detail work on the engine, what there is of it.