1/35 scale Centurion Mk.12

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
More work on the front and hopefully better pics this time...
20240628_152924_HDR.jpg
More conduit added, with the other side ready...
20240628_152934_HDR.jpg
...and added...
20240628_153220_HDR.jpg
The mount for the plough has now been added - seen from below...
20240628_155552_HDR.jpg
And from above...
20240628_155618_HDR.jpg
Also the conduit and piston head for the hydraulics to operate the lowering and raising of the plough...
20240628_160259_HDR.jpg
20240628_160318_HDR.jpg
And here a dry fit of the left side of the plough...
More later
Cheers
Mike.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Waiting for a couple of bases to dry after adding the ground texture, had a look through the stash and came out with this.
View attachment 509664
But I had forgotten that I had done some earlier work to change it into a Mk.12....
View attachment 509665
View attachment 509666
View attachment 509667
I had started off with just the mantlet, then added the front top of the turret and realised that the turret now had to be re-shaped... So set to work with filer and two part putty before getting the basic shape with a knife and finally sanding to shape. Then a final coat of filler (Tamiya) and a sand down got me where I wanted to be.
View attachment 509668
These are the products obtained for the conversion. The turret roof (SMM) was obtained just in case I totaly messed up the turret, so is now spare. The 'Pagoda' engine louvres are a resin part from Scorpion Miniature Models, Firestorm have provided the wheel 'rubber' tyres as I am too lazy at the moment to get out the casting resin and produce my own... And the tracks are the AFV Club workable Centurion tracks (180 per side)....
View attachment 509669
Would not be a build without the etch, so it will be new bins, plus odds and sods, the Bazooka plates will possibly not be used as there are a lot of tie downs to add, but we shall see...
View attachment 509670
Here is the reference material in paper format, plus of course the interweb will provide other information. (notice the tie downs....)
View attachment 509671
First job today was to cut off the rear, ready for the new rear end of the engine bay....
View attachment 509672
And here it is test fitted, again from SMM, it will not be glued in place untill I am ready to start fitting the engine louvres....
View attachment 509673
The glacis plate has a new strengthened plate added over it, and I did not forget to remove the awfull injection pins from the underside....
View attachment 509674
Try taking them off when fitting the tracks....
View attachment 509675
The deck plate has a 3mm piece removed from the rear and the fuel filler caps removed and sanded away, also the 7 bolt holes are filled as they are not required...
View attachment 509676
And that is where I am at end of play for today, as you can see there is a metal barrel in place - I do have a resin one, but at the moment I am not too happy with it as there are a couple of air holes with one at the muzzle end of the barrel, so I could end up making my own....
More later
Cheers
Mike

Is there a particular reason why you would change the metal barrel Mike? I thought they were the bee's knees of gun barrels.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sorry Mike this one slipped under the radar but all caught up now ,very powerful stuff indeed ,as I always say about scottie(Paul) 's)work inspirational ,I fear for your mental welfare as I do his but I've a feeling its what you thrive on ,inspirational not to emulate what you do but seeing stuff like this just makes me happy to jump up to the table and bash on with what I'm up to happy with my lot pushing my own boundaries. Cheers Dave

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Do it, you don’t see those built very often (except, I suspect, a model shows in Denmark ;) ).
I think i remember a German 3d producer who makes the range finder set up so could be a definate to do.Fancy doing a welded Cromwell tank first in 48th or 35th.Not great many pics of them sadly.
Rich

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Is there a particular reason why you would change the metal barrel Mike? I thought they were the bee's knees of gun barrels.
I had the resin barrel as part of the upgrade to a Mk12, but no matter how I set it the damn thing took on a life of its own and would not set straight. And having done the metal barrel before on my other Mk12, I thought it would save time....

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Sorry Mike this one slipped under the radar but all caught up now ,very powerful stuff indeed ,as I always say about scottie(Paul) 's)work inspirational ,I fear for your mental welfare as I do his but I've a feeling its what you thrive on ,inspirational not to emulate what you do but seeing stuff like this just makes me happy to jump up to the table and bash on with what I'm up to happy with my lot pushing my own boundaries. Cheers Dave
Many thanks Dave,
Scottie and myself were joined at the head at one time, where we shamed our family by detailing dinosaurs, changing big arms for little arms etc. And after separation down in Grandpa's rickety old shed at the bottom of the garden, we were taken out and placed under distant Goosberry bushes for some unsuspecting family to find... and find us they did, and of course we were not happy in our respective caves and set to detailing them - and that is how you now have high rise flats....

I (we) are pleased we inspire and encourage you and others onto their bench to make a model, this is what the hobby is about. Modelmakers I looked up to were old names like Bill Hearne, Roy Dilly, Harry Woodman and John Sandars to name a few, all inspirational and all got me onto the bench to try to make wings for WW1 aircraft, figures and conversions, afv's out of card which all led onto scratchbuilding and detailing.

So go ahead and make what makes you happy and keep pushing your boundaries...

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Bit more...
The resin springs were replaced with ones from copper wire...
20240629_152256_HDR.jpg
... and attached to the plough...
20240629_154449_HDR.jpg
Fitting between the springs from the mounting plate there is a chain which is used to raise and lower the plough.
20240629_160206_HDR.jpg
I decided to use the resin ones in the kit, but ran a saw down the lenght just to add a bit more detail like the original... Although will try to build them......

And that is it for now.
As always many thanks for the comments, always welcome both constructive and crititical.
Cheers
Mike.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Many thanks Dave,
Scottie and myself were joined at the head at one time, where we shamed our family by detailing dinosaurs, changing big arms for little arms etc. And after separation down in Grandpa's rickety old shed at the bottom of the garden, we were taken out and placed under distant Goosberry bushes for some unsuspecting family to find... and find us they did, and of course we were not happy in our respective caves and set to detailing them - and that is how you now have high rise flats....

I (we) are pleased we inspire and encourage you and others onto their bench to make a model, this is what the hobby is about. Modelmakers I looked up to were old names like Bill Hearne, Roy Dilly, Harry Woodman and John Sandars to name a few, all inspirational and all got me onto the bench to try to make wings for WW1 aircraft, figures and conversions, afv's out of card which all led onto scratchbuilding and detailing.

So go ahead and make what makes you happy and keep pushing your boundaries...
Loved Bill Herne, Roy Dillys little figure vignettes in the airfix magazine, who was the chap that built the Historex figures Max Winters? The late Sid Hortens figure builds/conversions of the few returning from the charge of the light brigade based on the famous painting ran for ages in the airfix magazine ,Ray Lambs excellent figures for Hinchliffe? Phoenix did some brilliant stuff as well including some cricketers ,yes many years ago you can tell I got into this first figure painting even used to travel up to Southampton once a month to the Southampton branch of the BMSS before moving on to plastic all such a long time ago now. Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
To me Ray Lamb was (is) the epitome of great moulding, great fit, and superb characterisation! I still have a reclaimed youthful trumpeter of the Empress Dragoons - if only I could find the green-jacketed (and orange facings), Bicorne-wearing veteran with a meerschaum pipe to complete the vignette I would happily put my meagre efforts on the forum for public scrutiny!
Steve

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Loved Bill Herne, Roy Dillys little figure vignettes in the airfix magazine, who was the chap that built the Historex figures Max Winters? The late Sid Hortens figure builds/conversions of the few returning from the charge of the light brigade based on the famous painting ran for ages in the airfix magazine ,Ray Lambs excellent figures for Hinchliffe? Phoenix did some brilliant stuff as well including some cricketers ,yes many years ago you can tell I got into this first figure painting even used to travel up to Southampton once a month to the Southampton branch of the BMSS before moving on to plastic all such a long time ago now. Dave
Cor! Dave we are showing our age....
I used to belong to the Newcastle-upon-Tyne branch of the BMSS as well as the MAFVA branch. Those names bring back memories of figure conversions long forgotten.