155mm M12 motor gun carriage (UM1/72)

D

Deleted member 6598

With rebuilding the front slope, what I had in mind was sawing it off the upper hull, then adding the nose and the rest of the upper hull, and tweaking the sawed-off part until it fits between them :smiling3: But your method works as well, and it certainly looks a lot better now than before, so not wasted effort, if you ask me.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Just caught up with little puppy, Dave. Looking really good, even with all the extra work and it seems like you're having fun too! Too small for my eyes, but the tracks came out well, being so tiny. Top work Buddy!!!

Oh, and if possible, please refrain from using Cig lighters to support your build. You know how Dude 2 (JR) gets when he sees anything to do with fire. Thanks...

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave, that is certainly a patience tester. It did occur to me given how much you had to remove from the front at the top and the gap you had at the bottom. you didn't have it upside down :tongue-out3: . Will follow this along

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just caught up with little puppy, Dave. Looking really good, even with all the extra work and it seems like you're having fun too! Too small for my eyes, but the tracks came out well, being so tiny. Top work Buddy!!!

Oh, and if possible, please refrain from using Cig lighters to support your build. You know how Dude 2 (JR) gets when he sees anything to do with fire. Thanks...

Prost
Allen
My dear old mum always taught me to fight fire with fire :tongue-out3:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Struth this little box of plastic went the full fifteen rounds right to the final bell it was still punching below the belt ,the main weapon went ok ,split barrel so will have to check the seam once I've got some primer down ,the up and down stairs at the rear(for want of a better description) were one of the last assemblies to be fitted yeh right ,can you remember me saying I try to keep a eye a bit in front to hopefully catch problems before they happen ,hard lesson learnt and all that ,well one of the first parts built and fitted were the rear mud guards these had the fittings/brackets /holes moulded on for the rear stairs never really took much notice as stairs were one of the last assemblies fitted assumed they knew what they were doing had in mind easier to paint as a broken down assembly always intending to build it with them in the raised position but I would have a little dry run just to make sure ,that went out of the window ,getting quite good at removing them now so no problem pulling one of them off ,letting me put the pin in one side with it leaning out enough to fit other mud guard and swing the piece into position ,na the holes weren't big enough sorted that completed tricky manover again nope now whole thing to big carved away some of the inside of the mud guard to let it move over just that fraction against the track na out with the snips hack some of the track off not visible behind the mud guard fits like a bloody glove stairs fully movable fitted the bar retainer thingies glued em one end when dry it was possible to un clip and drop down stairs to make painting easier. Of course all this physical abuse led to parts falling off so after a round of repairs all that was left were the brush guards for the front lamps now for all the wrongs the kit has thrown my way they give you a little former to help bend them to shape great if you've got tiny girl like hands but I could hardly hold the piece let alone wrap a piddley little bit of etch around it ,still did my best there a bit shabby but hey ho so were up to primer
20240803_144517.jpg
20240803_144538.jpg
20240803_144620.jpg
For all the tribulations the thing has thrown my way ive throughly enjoyed getting this far in fact feel quite smug if any thing its taught me patience is the best weapon. As I always say on here there's no such thing as a bad kit just some are better than others and this isn't one of them.
I'm going to build a little M3A1 russian lend lease thing deal so ive two olive drabbers to work on at the same time I'll put box and sprues up ASAP, thanks all for your help encouragement and input the M3A1 is by mirage hobbies hopefully a bit less problematic. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Paul quite a trip but got there looking forward to a more relaxing time with the wet stuff.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Dave, despite the kit doing it's best to spoil the party, it looks very good. I hope the primer doesn't reveal too many issues.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Great work! I've read so many bad things about UM kits that I've never dared to try them. My main fear is the wheels and tracks (respect for going through with that!). I think if you replace the chassis you get a pretty good model that's not too difficult to build. Maybe I'll dare to try it at some point...

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great work! I've read so many bad things about UM kits that I've never dared to try them. My main fear is the wheels and tracks (respect for going through with that!). I think if you replace the chassis you get a pretty good model that's not too difficult to build. Maybe I'll dare to try it at some point...
Hi ,this one was a pain probably the worst UM kit I've tackled ,but saying that there not relatively expensive compared to other manufacturers its the first allied build of theirs ive done so I cant comment ,but if Soviet vechiels are your thing then UM and UM MT have a tremendous choice to go at 35er's would die for some of it ,its over engineered somewhat but that i think is down to their moulding technologies ie no slide moulded hull tubs etc but they build ok ,people think all kits are like tamiya (no brainers) but a bit of fettling doesn't hurt and brings on your skills and confidence. Me I think there ok but one mans meat another man's poison.For this one patience was my best weapon. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well Dave, despite the kit doing it's best to spoil the party, it looks very good. I hope the primer doesn't reveal too many issues.
Na pretty confident Jim its cant be no worse than the build ,but as I said I've thoroughly enjoyed the fight certainly put more confidence in the locker for next time.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well got the primer down and think it looks real good well wroth the trials and tribulations totally diffrent lets hope the paint job does it justice ,it did have the last word though I always dust off with the airbrush before I start with h blew one of the headlight brush guards off luckily seeing where it went.
20240809_145135.jpg
20240809_145244.jpg
20240809_145356.jpg
20240809_145513.jpg
20240809_145532.jpg
Funnily enough I dropped it only on to the work surface but it dislodged the offending piece of resin that fell inside see first couple of pics will I put it back I doubt it all part of the story and you can't see its missing anyway. Primer shows what a great little (now its built)model its turned out to be. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
So the saga continues just as you thought it was safe to go back in the water ,the whole spray job goes boobs up its like a curse from a tomb or such like
20240810_145315.jpg
20240810_145309.jpg
As you can see went all oily kind of thing ,restraining my self I calmly cleaned out the air brush and walked away ,a bit late but about twenty minuets later I had a light bulb moment went back and sprayed a coat of self leveling thinners over both models once again calmly walking away ,didn't bother to look untill the next day it did smooth it out and calm it down a bit.
So sat down at the bech/dining table and weighed the situation up ,after all the work I'd put in do I have a hissy and give it the big oooh ive had enough its beaten me or just bash on regardless ,sod it I'll not give in now but I'm not getting involved I'll just finish the paint job.
Wow the curse of the UM kit raises its finger of doom again ,how I never noticed this at the primer stage I don't know (check out the primer pictures)was just getting into it when I noticed
20240817_110915.jpg
The front and rear wheel/suspension units were cracked in half so taking a a deep breath and a strong caffeine slug assessed the whole situation again this time taking everything in that my blind eye had dismissed ,so joint on barrel halfs could have done with a bit more attention ,resin front bit the crack had broken out again due to the wrestling match making it fit ,the etch head lamp brush guards were rubbish and needed new ones building ,the pulleys for the rear tail gate steps thing although fitted as per instructions were all upside down side inside out kind of thing so would need breaking off and putting back to allow for the cables/rigging ,so a bit like the song where do we go from here(into the bin I fear) no its no good having that hissy and waving the white flag the barrel and front plate can stay as is the other two I'll sort when the time comes ,so not done with too much grace or enthusiasm have at least bought it to a end because I suppose its not finished if you know what I mean ,still I'm proud of the fact I went the distance more of a draw than a win
20240831_131327.jpg
Thanks all for your input ,help and encouragement I'll put the rest of the finished pics in the finished armour build bit. Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Despite the woes you had this has turned out to be a cracker, which is all down to your modelling skills and patience.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Despite the woes you had this has turned out to be a cracker, which is all down to your modelling skills and patience.
Thanks Paul I hope thoes that have read through the whole episode have enjoyed the journey ,its one of thoes where (as Mike scratch builder tells me) I can look at it now and hold it close im sure you know what I/he means ,I look at it even now and think you could have done thoes few blind eye bits you know but for all it was I can honestly say I've throughly enjoyed it ,its all to easy to throw the towel in but as you said patience has brought me the result plus the encouragement and help from all the fine fellows on here ,as much as I love my 72nd stuff after that I'm going to do a 35er next as I really enjoyed doing the shilka so keep em peeled . Dave