Airfix 1/35 M3 Stuart 'Honey'

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi guys,

I've been getting more and more frustrated at my Eduard Tempest D-Day GB so I recently decided to take some time away from it and do something else.
as I seem to be finding more and more that armour is my 'niche' I thought I'd try this. an Airfix M3 Stuart 'Honey' light tank.

Here are some images of the kit and my progress so far. (I'm trying a different method this time, construction then painting rather than painting as I go)
m3_1.png
m3_2.pngm3_3.png
m3_4.png
m3_tr.png
m3_5.png
m3_6.pngm3_7.pngm3_8.png

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Has pretty good reviews, Steve, so should build up nicely. I think this is a rebox of the Academy kit??
(I'm trying a different method this time, construction then painting rather than painting as I go)
Although that approach has some issues I have found that the more I can stick together, even if painting is a little fiddly and there may need to be more masking, the better the result is overall.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You’re doing very nicely there. Is the interior still loose? Because your best option is to paint that whole floor/firewall assembly before you glue it into the hull. An aerosol can of white primer will do nicely for that, because most of the interior of American tanks was white. Don‘t forget to do the sponsons and the inside of the upper hull at the same time. Then just pick out the details, like the instructions tell you, and only then stick the floor into the hull. (And if you have already stuck it in place, then just do the same :smiling3: )

If you’re going to spray the outside, rather than brush-paint it, you can tape over all the openings in the hull from the inside before you glue the upper hull to the lower. Much easier that way than trying to mask it once the two are together :smiling3:

the side armour
That’s a sand shield :smiling3: It’s just sheet steel, and serves to keep the dust clouds down (a little) in the desert.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You’re doing very nicely there. Is the interior still loose? Because your best option is to paint that whole floor/firewall assembly before you glue it into the hull. An aerosol can of white primer will do nicely for that, because most of the interior of American tanks was white. Don‘t forget to do the sponsons and the inside of the upper hull at the same time. Then just pick out the details, like the instructions tell you, and only then stick the floor into the hull. (And if you have already stuck it in place, then just do the same :smiling3: )

If you’re going to spray the outside, rather than brush-paint it, you can tape over all the openings in the hull from the inside before you glue the upper hull to the lower. Much easier that way than trying to mask it once the two are together :smiling3:

That’s a sand shield :smiling3: It’s just sheet steel, and serves to keep the dust clouds down (a little) in the desert.
ohh sand shield, I honestly didn't know that. Thank you! also yes the interior is still loose, still need to decide if I want hatches open or closed, if closed I see no point in painting the interior. Yes I'm lazy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you’re going to close the hatches then there’s no point in building the interior :smiling3: Though, of course, it will improve your modelling skills if you do so anyway. If this were my model I’d paint the interior like I said: white primer from an aerosol can, then the details per the instructions. It’s not that much extra work now you’ve built them already anyway, and the model will look much cooler with all of the hatches open. You’ll be surprised how much of the interior is actually visible through those small openings.

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice start Steve seated front row. I am also going to take a break from the D-Day GB for a bit I’m kinda frustrated with my build at the moment.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Little update, decided on closing the hatches as I realised last night how I should have painted the interior pieces before assembly. lol another lesson learned.
Given it a spray of dark iron, was going to use black but I thought black looked too black ..yes I'm aware of how stupid that sounds.
(as you can see, I'm still in the learning phase of using my airbrush and stuggle to get in all the areas)

t_1.pngt_2.png

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Okay, I figured lets push the boat out and try something new, so I've tried my first ever attempt at pre-shading. Never done it before but I've seen others do it.
so here is the result (no laughing at the back, I see you ;)) I found it quite tricky as aiming my airbrush is very hit and miss. I need some funky high tech glasses that show a crosshair for aiming it haha! so it didn't always go exactly where I wanted but it's my first try so can't expect it to be good.

pre.png

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I agree with Si on the air brush use. I still find I miss bits .
Think the pre shading is fine, certainly gives the right impression . Getting the right amount of paint on will improve each time you do this, were always learning as we go .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good to me Steve. As Si says, practice, practice, practice, it’s the only thing that works. One way to practice your aim is to print off a couple of child’s colouring in sheets and colour them in, trying to stay inside the lines. You need to build up muscle memory in your technique and practice is the only way you can do this.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice results Steve. I’ve never pre-shade guess I’m going have to try it.