Airfix 1/35 M3 Stuart 'Honey'

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Okay I think I might have overstepped my skill here. I loved the pre-shading look and went a bit further, tried to add a 2nd colour . ..it didn't come out too well.
it wiped out the pre-shading so I was in a panic. I then tried to add some white to the green and spray in some shading. it kind of worked a little. but cock ups are the
best way of learning I guess. More work on it tomorrow if I have the time.

tanky.png

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking pretty good to me.

Look on the bright side: now you’ve tried both methods of highlighting panels — pre-shading and spraying the highlights after :smiling3: I prefer the second, because I find it difficult to spray paint so it doesn’t cover well over a large area. So by spraying the model in a single colour first, and then adding highlights with a paler version, like you did for the second colour, I can spray covering layers and have models that don’t look too much like toys ;)

What I’m trying to get at is: it’s good to try both ways, to see which one you prefer.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking pretty good to me.

Look on the bright side: now you’ve tried both methods of highlighting panels — pre-shading and spraying the highlights after :smiling3: I prefer the second, because I find it difficult to spray paint so it doesn’t cover well over a large area. So by spraying the model in a single colour first, and then adding highlights with a paler version, like you did for the second colour, I can spray covering layers and have models that don’t look too much like toys ;)

What I’m trying to get at is: it’s good to try both ways, to see which one you prefer.
Good points there from Jakko. Also bear in mind that some colours are very opaque and are not really suited to the preshade technique. It’s therefore useful to have both in your armoury. To be honest I use both in most of my builds because I like the surface variation it gives.

Yours looks really good so far, so keep going with it :thumb2:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is going to look fine when complete Steve. It looks like you still ahave the brown camo to apply around the turret sides but I think you have done a great job. Keep plodding on.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is going to look fine when complete Steve. It looks like you still ahave the brown camo to apply around the turret sides but I think you have done a great job. Keep plodding on.
I'm not going to add that. why? because I don't like the look of it, yes a dumb emotional reason but still i'm being honest.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks fine to me Steve. Jakko makes a very good point. Preshading only works if your airbrush skills are good, you are not spraying a very opaque colour, as Tim said, and you don't have a camo scheme with multiple colours. I have tried preshading quite a few times and obliterated it much more often than I've got it to work.
You have to try things out. We are all learning.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve looking great mate. If I may offer a suggestion to lighten the colour don't use white as it is to stark add a few drops of light flesh instead.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Build looks good to me Steve. It's all a learning process and I bet you learned a few new things with this too. Fun, Isn't it!!!...

I don't know if it might help or not, but maybe keep a little notebook by the bench. You can write down what you liked and didn't like during the build, as well as tips that worked or didn't...Just a thought...

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Nice one :smiling3:

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Nice tank Steve!
I was a few days very busy and missed your build, but the result is very nice :thumb2:

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Wow! I wish my painting was as good as that - that's a superb build, well done Steve! (And quick too!)

How did you find the kit? I've been thinking of getting this one as I want a British North African Stuart.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow! I wish my painting was as good as that - that's a superb build, well done Steve! (And quick too!)

How did you find the kit? I've been thinking of getting this one as I want a British North African Stuart.
Got it off Amazon

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've been thinking of getting this one as I want a British North African Stuart.
If you value accuracy, then don’t bother with this kit :smiling3: There is a major problem with the suspension arms: they’ve been made much too steep (by Academy, not Steve :smiling3: ) but because the outer underside is horizontal when the tank is on level ground (and normally loaded), they have that too. Meaning the arms are not only too steep but also much too thick top-to-bottom. Not something you’ll notice if you don’t know it, of course, but if you have an interest in Stuarts then it just looks wrong :sad: One fix is to buy the AFV Club suspension set, but then you still have the many smaller detail issues that Academy kits always suffer from. If you want an accurate British Stuart in North Africa, your best option is probably to just wait for MiniArt to release it — as mentioned the other day, they have announced the American version with the right turret, so all they need to do is add some sprues for the British bits.

OTOH, if you want a simple build and don’t care too much about accuracy, the Academy kit is probably a much better choice. It’ll be cheaper and easier to put together :smiling3:

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Great effort! Great interpretation of the 'Caunter' scheme as carried out by a tank crew that did not get the memo...;) Colours look spot on with published references.
Dirtying, I see where you have tried to highlight the rivets, as a suggestion, next time once the wash is on, allow it to settle for about 5 minutes and then take a soft flat brush and gently pull from the top down, this is how you get streaks. This will avoid the 'tide' marks left when the thinner evaporates...
As Jakko said, if you want to go the extra, then the AFV Club suspension set is the only major change.
And as the finished item - you young man are coming on in leaps and bounds - well done.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A very nice finish. Just one small comment, if I may. The 7th Armoured Division (the desert rats) divisional insignia on the front right track guard is laid on its side. The one on the turret is upright, as it should be. This is not meant to be a criticism of your work which is excellent. Just me being a pedant.
John.