Airfix 1:48 Bristol Bulldog Mk.II

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well I might be able to help you there. This kit so far, is taking quite a bit of work to make things fit. The wings, top and bottom, didn't meet at the trailing edge - meaning a lot of filling and sanding. It's really just old school modelling, but I don't really expect that on a new tool kit.
Maybe I'll hunt out that 1/32 resin job from Silver Wings. Or not. A 1/32 Fury tho...
It is interesting about part fit, like Andy T said 'new' Airfix stuff practically falls together

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I agree, not what you'd expect. The couple of new tool Airfix kits I did recently really impressed me with their fit. They must have dropped the ball on this one.
I've built a few New Tool Airfix and I really like them. One thing to note, this plastic is different from the previous light grey stuff. this is much nicer to work with.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Continuing with the build, a small quality issue pops up.
IMG_2342.jpeg
Look at the stress points on this manifold.
IMG_2343.jpeg
Yes, it’s a two piece manifold, all those pipes should be at the same height. I did warm it up first before bending back into shape, but still broke one.
IMG_2349.jpeg
Anyway, all primed up and sanded back. I might have slightly over done the sanding.
IMG_2350.jpeg
A gloss black undercoat for the metal part of the fuselage.
IMG_2351.jpeg
Engine bits all done ready for the build. Although Airfix mention, loudly, DO NOT attach the cylinders until the engine has been installed in the fuselage.
IMG_2352.jpeg
I do like a bit of Alclad, here it’s “polished aluminium “. It doesn't look anything like a 'grainy' as in the picture. The marvels of an Iphone !

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Great job on the manifold getting it back into shape. And this is a kit I will be adding to my stash, I remember building the old Merit one many years ago....
And making your own turnbuckles - a credit to you.
More please.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It doesn't look anything like a 'grainy' as in the picture. The marvels of an Iphone !
That looks like the same kind of issue as I’m running into with my new iPad: the software trying to enhance the colours for a “normal” picture, like you’d take of people somewhere, and getting them rather wrong because this isn’t a photo of the kind of subjects its algorithms have been optimised for.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks like the same kind of issue as I’m running into with my new iPad: the software trying to enhance the colours for a “normal” picture, like you’d take of people somewhere, and getting them rather wrong because this isn’t a photo of the kind of subjects its algorithms have been optimised for.
Interesting. I'll charge my camera and try that for a comparison.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Nope NOPE I am definitely NOT getting one of these. No no no...

But it's so pretty. And shiny

Shiny silver aeroplanes... My precious...

Seriously, though, I've been finding the new Airfix transfers of a very high standard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Colin, despite the struggles.

ATB

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Seriously, though, I've been finding the new Airfix transfers of a very high standard
Totally agree, they were cartograph, but the decal sheet doesn’t have a name on it now.

Coming on nicely Colin, despite the struggles.
I’m happy to report it’s behaving like a new tool kit now.

Don’t you love it when a household object makes things just that bit easier. Washers used for masking the wheels.
IMG_2364.jpeg