Allen's 1/24 Tamiya GTR...

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon all,

I'll be joining in on all the rubber burning, tire screeching fun, with a Nissan GTR. I've always loved the GTR, but could never afford a real one. This is the closest I've ever gotten,

IMG_4665.JPG
Anyway, back to the build...The kit,

IMG_4515.JPG
The paper stuff in the box,

IMG_4660.JPG
The destructions,

IMG_4661.JPG
It doesn't have a complete motor as the hood is molded on. Sad, because I love to detail motors!!! The sprue thingies,

IMG_4662.JPG
Love that blue plastic!!!...NOT......

IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_4663.JPG
This should build up nicely and I plan on doing it OOB. I might make seatbelts for it from tape or foil and I will use the chrome parts as they are. There definitely won't be a blue paint scheme for the finish. I haven't decided on a color yet. Maybe I'll finish it in a 1917 naval hex pattern...

I hope to start in the next couple of days. Thanks to Bob for putting this GB together and let's have fun!!!...

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Careful Buddy , you'll end up a car nut at this rate ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fabulous choice allen , loved the skyline r34 ( and most other 90’s Japanese sports cars ) ever since playing Gran Turismo with my son on the playstation for hours and hours . Looking forward to this one , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn all,

There seems to be a bit of a blue plastic theme running through this Group Build already! :tears-of-joy:

Nick
So true Nick. I wanted to start a BKG (Blue Kit Group) to throw Bob a curveball in his GB, but it didn't work out as everyone is painting their kits a different color...

I will follow along me old mate.
Great to have you along Bro! Hope I can get a decent result...

Will follow this with interest, always wanted a road going version but it never happened.
Me too Stefan! Loved these beasts and the Subaru WRC. Nothing like the twin turbo in the GTR...

This should be good.
I'm going to give it the old college try Buddy!!!

Good choice Allen.
Thanks Steve! I have even started cutting plastic on it...

Careful Buddy , you'll end up a car nut at this rate ;)
No Dude 2. Back in my younger years, I was a petrol head, but now age has gotten the better of me...

Fabulous choice allen , loved the skyline r34 ( and most other 90’s Japanese sports cars ) ever since playing Gran Turismo with my son on the playstation for hours and hours . Looking forward to this one , cheers tony
Hi Tony. Great to have you along. I used to love Gran Turismo and Colin McCrae's WRC Rally games. I played with my younger boy, but he always managed to bump me off the course when I was winning. His answer was "Sorry Dad, I was just trying to pass you in that turn"......Yeah, right kid!!!

I started building the kit by opening the baggies and fighting the annoying little staples in them. I opened the destructions and looked at the first step. It was building the rear suspension and diff...Now I know why Mick and Andy T gave the Tamiya Toyota a place back in the stash. You have to paint a lot of everything and then try to assemble it afterwards. Okay, so the 1st step has you using 6-7 colors, 2 of which are a mixture (like Revell). I had all the colors, so I went at it,

IMG_4699.JPG
Kinda hard to distinguish, but there is satin black, flat black, aluminum, chrome, and steel on these parts and their not finished yet. Giving the hairy stick a rest, I moved on to step 2. I nipped off and cleaned up the pieces, along with the chassis,

IMG_4700.JPG
A real shame you only get the bottom half of the motor. It would have been great to get the full twin turbo, 2.5 liter in-line 6 banger, pumping out 450 HP....The parts fit together well and the front wheels are steerable too. A test fit of the rear end into the chassis,

IMG_4701.JPG
No probs there! I am still debating on what color to paint the underside. I'll have to spray it as it would take too long to brush. I went back and finished up the rear hubs and brake calipers. I wish someone would have made a carbon fiber paint to brush on and it would look like the real material. Carbon fiber decals are too iffy for the brake discs. Anyway, here's the rear end (almost) finished,

IMG_4703.JPG
I went with red calipers to give it some color. The mounts were a mix of chrome and gold as per the destructions. I never realized that car models would be so difficult to build, as opposed to armor and wing thingy's. Ok, on wing thingy's, you also have to paint as you go. On armor models, mud is your best friend in times of need.....I haven't built a car model for about 50 years and it's challenging. I'll drive on and have good go at it...

Thanks for looking in and remember...."Don't Drink and Drive Folks...............You'll spill your drink"

Prost
Allen

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Looking really good and very neatly done. Just remember a lot of faffing about at the start but 4 dabs of glue and a whole suspension etc. is fitted and complete.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Lovely neat work there buddy, I'm going to have to up my game!

Pretty much every (real life) race or rally car I've painted or worked on is white underneath as it's easier to spot leaks etc, and see what you're doing in the dark :nerd:

This is a Focus that's getting converted to Subaru 4wd running gear, to illustrate the point.

1000008158.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A great choice Allen. These cars really are a wolf in sheep's clothing. At the end of our road is a care home and one of the guys who works there has just imported a Skyline. The sound as he rolls up to work!!
Nice start. Impressive detail painting.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks so much guys!!!

Garry, it's easier with a hairy stick...Oh and I'll stop calling you Noah now, until your next floaty build. How about 'Frosty' instead...

So true Stefan! I've gone back and studied the destructions again and have worked out a plan now. Thanks for that...

Andy, thanks for the pic and that has made up my mind for the color. And maybe in the next 10 years my painting skills might come a little closer to yours Sir!!!

Thank you Jim, Jigs, or Jimbo (choose one)!!! These wheelie thing kits today are a whole new ballgame for this old git...

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks a lot Doug and Ian! Sorry there's no update tonight. I forgot to take pics...Old age sucks!!!

Prost
Allen

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Garry, it's easier with a hairy stick...Oh and I'll stop calling you Noah now, until your next floaty build. How about 'Frosty' instead...
It looks like I'll have to up my hairy stick skills Allen, atm Frosty would fit -1C this morning.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
but now age has gotten the better of me...
I’m feeling your pain Dude 1 I’m starting the age process I think.

Nice choice on your build. Seated by JR may need your assistance.