Allen's 1/24 Tamiya GTR...

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good mate this is really coming along. Just love those farside cartoons they have me in stitches.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looking magnificent young man. I will pinch your idea for the seat belts if I may because I think I may need it for my Supra build.
Why thank you Sir! Feel free to pinch as I nicked the idea of the tape from here anyway. If you have tape with a texture in on it, some Micro Sol might help sink the decals into it. I was afraid that if I used Micro Sol on mine, it might have soaked into the tape adhesive and the tape would come apart...

Looking good mate this is really coming along. Just love those farside cartoons they have me in stitches.
Thanks Bro! Cars are a different ball of wax to build......I love the 'Far Side' and 'Pearls Before Swine' cartoons. A lot of out of the box humor and so hilarious. Larry the Crocodile, from 'Pearls', is my absolute favorite...

That looks really nice love the belts
Thank you Simon! I just wish they had some texture on them. I was thinking about replacing them with HGW 1/32 WWI airplane pieces, but they would have been too small, with the wrong buckles...LOL...

Thanks and I'll leave you guys with another of my favorites strips. This is for my good Buddy Paul (Scottie),

IMG_4605.JPG

Prost
Allen

Last edited:

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great work buddy. Looking very clean and neat, as I'd expect from you.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I am going to do what AndyT is doing and take a break from this
Me too Allen going to take a break from all this 1/72 stuff for a bit and the GBs. I’m getting burned out in this scale for now. Updates look awesome.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just had a catch up allen - fabulous work mate , it looks excellent . Cant wait to see what colour youve decided on . Good to see the porky goodness of your little party hasnt distracted you from the build too much , I bet it was a fantastic affair - hot roast pork and beer , heaven ! ( that crackling looks unbelievable :smiling::smiling::tongue-out: , my dentist likes pork crackling - well he likes what it does to my teeth and to his wallet !)
Carry on the great work and dont forget to invite the rabble next time theres a BBQ !

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful job Allen. The cage is well worthy of the name. Will stiffen things up for sure.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking lovely Allen. I have to admit that I like the look of the seat belts. A lot less hastle than PE

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Folks. Not an update of sort, but replies are in order,

Great work buddy. Looking very clean and neat, as I'd expect from you.
Thanks Andy! Uhh, Neat and clean??? Okay, it's going alright, but gotten too hot to paint the body. Are sure sure you read my post with the right glasses on, Sir??? LOL!!!...

That is looking really good Allen, I'm keen to see the end result.
Thanks and me too Garry! I hope within the next couple of weeks to have it finished. 30°C heat is the biggest prob right now...

Me too Allen going to take a break from all this 1/72 stuff for a bit and the GBs. I’m getting burned out in this scale for now. Updates look awesome.
Thanks Buddy! I had to go back to the Deuce 'n a half for a change of pace too. Cars are fun though...

Just had a catch up allen - fabulous work mate , it looks excellent . Cant wait to see what colour youve decided on . Good to see the porky goodness of your little party hasnt distracted you from the build too much , I bet it was a fantastic affair - hot roast pork and beer , heaven ! ( that crackling looks unbelievable :smiling::smiling::tongue-out: , my dentist likes pork crackling - well he likes what it does to my teeth and to his wallet !)
Carry on the great work and dont forget to invite the rabble next time theres a BBQ !
Thank you too Tony and good to see you looking in. I wanted to get the body base coat done yesterday, but it got too hot to hissy...The eats were most excellent and of course a cold Wagner is perfect to wash it down with. Next time, I will definitely extend an invite to everyone here too!!!...

Great progress. All very neat. Love the way the tyre decals have come out.
Much appreciated Jim! Crazy, but it's over a week now and they are still sticking to the sidewalls (he says with fingers and toes crossed)!!!

Beautiful job Allen. The cage is well worthy of the name. Will stiffen things up for sure.
Thanks too Paul! Oh, and your nostalgia struck me too when looking for something else. See below Buddy...

Looking lovely Allen. I have to admit that I like the look of the seat belts. A lot less hastle than PE
Thank you Steve! I'm not a fan of PE belts or plain decal belts either. I was just trying to make them look better than flat as a piece of paper...

Just had a catch up Allen, this is coming together beautifully, nice clean build.
Thanks Bob, but I ain't too sure on the clean part! I was just happy to get rid of the blue plastic any way I could...

Like I said above, its gotten too hot to hissy, with temps 30° and above for the rest of the week. Fan doesn't really help, even on the cyclone setting. It just blows all the dust around the apartment. While looking in a box for something else, I came across this blast from the past!!! A kit released in 1988,

IMG_4770.JPG
I know I bought it, but why, where or when escapes me. It would have been cool for Bob's Gb, but it has been already started,

IMG_4771.JPG
I was the person who built it, that's for sure, because I did my favorite # on the motor,

IMG_4772.JPG
Spark plug wires out of black thread!!! I love my motors...If you are not familiar with this type of racing car, here are a few things worth noting,

1. Big block fuel injected V-8, with mucho, mucho HP
2. Direct drive with no tranny, just a disconnect coupler between motor and rear diff. They needed to be pushed to start after the coupler was engaged. Rear wheels didn't turn when pushing till around 50mph and then the motor caught on
3. Brake(s) on the rear axle only. One or two discs depending on the builder
4. Larger sized rear tire on the outside and smaller, inside. Usually the right rear, as the cars raced counter-clockwise on wetted dirt or clay ovals
5. Raced more time drifting sideways and little time in a straight line, depending on track size. At the Orange County Fair Speedway, in Middletown N.Y., the 5/8 mile clay oval (near where I lived), they drove straight for a second or two. Average speed was 130mph+
6. And when they wrecked, end over end rolls, 5-6 times and side over side rolls, up to 10 times or even more. Rarely was a driver injured, but fights between drivers were common......

In the beginning of the 70's, I used to work on a tow truck from from the gas station were I worked. The owner had 2 stations and a body shop with a huge junkyard. He raced in the modified class, so we were there every Saturday night with 2 tow trucks to remove the wrecks and, when the Sprint cars came 2 or 3 times a season, to push start them. We sure did have a lot of fun back then and we got in for free too.......

Sorry to get off track a bit, but Paul's (minitnkr) GB finds and now my find, has brought back a lot of fantastic memories of the good ole days of racing........

Hope to have an update soon and please try to keep cool as the temps rise...

Prost
Allen