Allen's 1/35 Tamiya 6x6, 2 1/2 Tonner

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn all,

This will be my entry into Geoff's D-Day GB. A big thanks to him for putting this GB together, headaches included...I believe everyone is familiar with this vehicle and there were about 810,000 of them built during the war. They were used in all theater's of operation. At Normandy, they were put ashore after the initial landings to transport all the necessary materials needed to supply the troops in their fight to end the tyranny and free Europe. This is the kit and I probably won't put it in a dio. It will be a stand alone build,

IMG_4641.JPG
Typical Tamiya and luckily, it doesn't have those awful rubber tires. The paper stuff,

IMG_4658.JPG
It has decals, but they are still in one of the sealed sprue baggies. I'll be going with the bottom marking scheme, as it was used in Normandy. The sprue shots,

IMG_4654.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG
I won this kit from evilbay really cheap and when I got it, I looked inside the box and found this surprise,

IMG_4659.JPG
The Tamiya accessory cargo kit for it. Now I have something for the CITB. This set and some wooden crates I have in the stash should fill it up nicely.

I can't believe I'm in 2 GB's at the same time. I guess I had a really wild senior moment! Doesn't matter though......Let's just have fun and build a kit as a tribute to those brave souls, 80 years ago...

Prost
Allen

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Really nice Allen, I'll look forward to this build.

I have the Italeri kit in my stash, so it'll be great to get some inspiration.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morn all,

This will be my entry into Geoff's D-Day GB. A big thanks to him for putting this GB together, headaches included...I believe everyone is familiar with this vehicle and there were about 810,000 of them built during the war. They were used in all theater's of operation. At Normandy, they were put ashore after the initial landings to transport all the necessary materials needed to supply the troops in their fight to end the tyranny and free Europe. This is the kit and I probably won't put it in a dio. It will be a stand alone build,

View attachment 510653
Typical Tamiya and luckily, it doesn't have those awful rubber tires. The paper stuff,

View attachment 510654
It has decals, but they are still in one of the sealed sprue baggies. I'll be going with the bottom marking scheme, as it was used in Normandy. The sprue shots,

View attachment 510655
View attachment 510656
I won this kit from evilbay really cheap and when I got it, I looked inside the box and found this surprise,

View attachment 510657
The Tamiya accessory cargo kit for it. Now I have something for the CITB. This set and some wooden crates I have in the stash should fill it up nicely.

I can't believe I'm in 2 GB's at the same time. I guess I had a really wild senior moment! Doesn't matter though......Let's just have fun and build a kit as a tribute to those brave souls, 80 years ago...

Prost
Allen
My god will this madness ever end ;). Don't think you can ever have enough fuel drums or fuel cans, certainly a nice addition to have with the kit.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I looked inside the box and found this surprise,
I like when that happens especially from Sleezebay. Looks good I’ll have a seat by JR to make sure he behaves. He’s been slacking bringing Yorkshire tea for refreshments to all these GBs Allen can you help out??

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn and great to have you all looking in!!!

Really nice Allen, I'll look forward to this build.

I have the Italeri kit in my stash, so it'll be great to get some inspiration.
More like perspiration I'm afraid, Arnold. The Italeri kits are nice and the difference is you have to build the chassis together on them, as opposed to the Tamiya kit...

Looking forward to this.
Me too Tim! The kit practically falls together...

My god will this madness ever end ;). Don't think you can ever have enough fuel drums or fuel cans, certainly a nice addition to have with the kit.
Thanks Dude 2 and the madness prolly will never end. But you know that!!!

Nice Allen, great choice :thumb2:

Looking forward to following your build.

Geoff.
Thank you Geoff and thanks for not giving up Sir...

I like when that happens especially from Sleezebay. Looks good I’ll have a seat by JR to make sure he behaves. He’s been slacking bringing Yorkshire tea for refreshments to all these GBs Allen can you help out??
It was a surprise Lee and I'm afraid I can't help out with the Yorkshire tea as I'm a coffee drinker. I used to drink Tetley tea (with the tiny little tea leaves) many years ago when I lived in New York. As for Yorkshire, I only know 2 things,

1. Our own Dave Ward is a proud and true Yorkshireman...

2. The cute little dogs that Mr. Smiff hacks up to make a pudding for his Sunday roast dinner........Barbaric!!!...

Oh and don't worry about JR behaving. He's too worn out from all the grass cutting he's done lately....

I started nipping plastic yesterday and found the cleanup to be very minimal. The kit is from 1997 and nicely molded for it's age. The fit of the parts is also really great. I only managed to take one pic as I kept wanting to do more and more. It was so much fun,

IMG_4704.JPG
The kit can be built with or without the front winch. My model is without it. You also get 2 spare tires, so the extra one adds to the CITB too. The drive-train is one piece and after I glue it to the frame, add a few tidbits, and assemble the tires, I can hissy stick the whole affair in one shot...

I have 5 other things on the go at the moment, so when I paint the chassis/tires, I can also paint the GTR frame and the others as well. But first, I too have to change the filter in my spray booth too. Must be some kind of spray booth disease going around on here. Really busy times in Bamberg!!!

Thanks again and all abuse is most welcome!!!...

Prost
Allen

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'm a coffee drinker.
Yes me too but like to try something different. That’s JR’s fault about the coffee. I kinda know his pain about the grass my cutting my every 4 days when I can if it isn’t raining. Sounds like it’s getting a little rowdy as I step out. Looks like you have a plan about to start.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Yes me too but like to try something different. That’s JR’s fault about the coffee. I kinda know his pain about the grass my cutting my every 4 days when I can if it isn’t raining. Sounds like it’s getting a little rowdy as I step out. Looks like you have a plan about to start.

person-before-coffee-judgmental-and-sarcastic-mole-after-coffee-judgmental-and-sarcastic-but-faster

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice Choice Mr D, what are the odds you might actually finish this one? :tongue-out3:

I shouldn't poke fun, I’ve one or two part finished GB builds too!!
Good luck and may the force be with you :smiling4:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Folks and sorry for the late replies. I was really caught up in my Nissan GTR build, but needed a break, so...

Great start Allen, you do indeed look busy! :smiling:
Thanks A.J.! I really do have a lot going on at the moment, between my apartment refurb and 4 builds on the table...

Allen baby, count me in. I'm looking forward to see what you do with this.
Great to have you Bro! I'm really not going to do anything special with it. Just OOTB, BUT...I've had to slap myself about the head and shoulders a few times to get the scratchy/super detailing ideas out of my head...

Nice Choice Mr D, what are the odds you might actually finish this one? :tongue-out3:

I shouldn't poke fun, I’ve one or two part finished GB builds too!!
Good luck and may the force be with you :smiling4:
Hiya Mr. Benson!!! It's nice to see you and keeping me on my toes my friend. I am actually getting better at GB's Si, and I finished the Bi-Plane GB before the end date!!! I guess miracles do happen. How's that HIMARS coming along? Still gotta have a look, see at it. My best to the family too, Buddy...

Over the past few days, I have been playing with the deuce 'n a half. The Tamiya kit goes together really well for it's age and I'm sorta back in my comfort zone. I glued all the tires together and prepped them for the hissy stick.

IMG_4760.JPG
Not sure if I'll spray them a rubber color and then hairy stick the rims OD, or do it the other way around. I figured that if I was going to mess up my so pretty, new blue spray booth filter, I might as well get enough stuff together to make it worthwhile and do it all at once. GTR car body and this, along with a couple of other bigger project pieces. So, moving on with this puppy, we got the drivetrain and a few tidbits glued on and masked up for the OD,

IMG_4753.JPG
Just some basic masking of the glue points for the cab, motor and bed. I assembled the cab to make it easy to spray too,

IMG_4754.JPG
IMG_4755.JPG
From the pics, I see I need to do a little cleanup on the headlight rims. A bit of masking for the seat cushions is needed too. The dash will get a coat of OD and then I can add the 5 decals and play around painting the speedo/tacho and dial thingy's. It slides into place to make it easy to glue. Moving on to the cargo bed, again, it was easy to assemble and glue together, ala typical Tamiya. Seats up, so there's more room for the CITB,

IMG_4756.JPG
Oh, and the nice touch is the tailgate. It opens and closes too,

IMG_4757.JPG
Really cool!!!...I'm undecided whether to do some heavy chipping on the bed, or just do a light chipping. It'll depend on how much CITB I come up with to fill it. I would think that when these hit the beach, they were pretty new and stayed so, at least for a week or two. The belly,

IMG_4759.JPG
I'll mask up the 4 big glue point nubs on the bed rails in the morn. With luck and it doesn't get too hot tomorrow, I can spend a few hours working my hissy stick to death. I figure the hissy has to be cleaned 4 times, for the 5 colors I need to shoot...Damn, sounds like too much work to me!!!...At least the beer's cold...............

That's all for now good people. Crits, Comms and abuse always welcome. Thanks for looking in and have a great week!!!

Prost
Allen

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming along nicely Allen. Looking forward to your next update after the marathon booth session.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry I’m late to the party Allen, but a cracking start, I’m sat quietly at the back with my flask of Yorkshire Tea. ( I’m not a coffee drinker at all ).

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi guys,

Coming along nicely Allen. Looking forward to your next update after the marathon booth session.
Thanks Andy! The marathon only lasted about an hour, at most. See below Buddy...

:thumb2: short and sweet. Dave
That's the way I like it Dave. Hope you're feeling much better and I love your table my friend...

Sorry I’m late to the party Allen, but a cracking start, I’m sat quietly at the back with my flask of Yorkshire Tea. ( I’m not a coffee drinker at all ).
No need to be sorry Ian. You have so many things going on at the bench, It's a wonder you even have time for tea...Let alone trying to keep up on all the builds on the forum too, Sir....

Nice updates Allen
Thank you Lee! You're not doing too badly yourself...

Well, I got up this morning and the sun was shining, so that meant hissy time marathon. Yea, Right!!! I masked up the rest of the deuce and set up all the stuff to paint it. Tamiya OD mixed with 40% X20A in my 5 ml. syringe. 18 PSI on the 'pressor, booth open and the second syringe with IPA to shoot through to warm up the hissy stick and clean it afterwards. I Looked at the filter,

IMG_4761.JPG
Had a second thought, but said the hell with it...Let's go crazy!!! Shot some IPA to check the flow, shook the mix and squirted 2 ml in the cup and while setting the syringe down, on it's end..............I tipped the Hissy and spilled paint all over...DOH!!! I forgot to put the lid on the cup!!! First time for everything I suppose. Cleaned the mess up and went to try it again. Ok, we shot the frame, the tidbits, the cab, and the cargo bed top and sides. Squirted the last paint in the cup and went at the bed underside. Done deal, till I looked and saw a few areas that needed some touchup. Fixed 2 and ran out of paint. If I hadn't spilled the approximate 1 ml, it would been perfect. Here it be,

IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4769.JPG
IMG_4763.JPG
IMG_4764.JPG
IMG_4765.JPG
IMG_4766.JPG
As you can see, I took the pics after unmasking and a test fit of the main parts to the chassis. The hood is just sitting on top.

The big question is, does the Tamiya XF-62 OD look a bit too green? The bottle is 25-30 years old, but stirred up perfectly with no lumps or bumps in it. Or is OD a little bit browner, like the Tamiya plastic color?...Just wondering... Oh forgot the dash closeup,

IMG_4767.JPG
It should paint up and decal pretty nice. Painting the dial thingy's should be a good test for my old peepers and nerves...

After all this nonsense, it got too hot to do anything else, except a good cleaning on the hissy stick. We might give it a new try in the morn if my apartment cools down over night. Thank you all again for your interest and stay chilled...

Prost
Allen

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Bro, look'in good, but I think maybe you have too many sticks if no winch. Trans., e-brake, transfer case, & winch engagement.
A side note. Prime movers (2.5ton GMC short wheelbase) were equipped w/2 spares for additional front axle off road traction. All jimmydeucenahafs had extended front hubs to accommodate this feature but had only one spare mounted.