Allen's 1/35 Tamiya 6x6, 2 1/2 Tonner

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The big question is, does the Tamiya XF-62 OD look a bit too green? The bottle is 25-30 years old, but stirred up perfectly with no lumps or bumps in it. Or is OD a little bit browner, like the Tamiya plastic color?...Just wondering...
That’s always the question with colours like OD, dark yellow, etc. :smiling3: Zaloga once wrote a whole article about the real OD and various model paint colours for it in Military Modelling, and his conclusion was that Tamiya XF-62 came closest. However, that was about 25 years ago, and Tamiya changed the paint since — and if I’m not mistaken, then changed it again because of complaints that the new version was clearly too green. Couple this to the usual problems of saying anything actually useful about colours in photographs, especially ones viewed on computer screens, and basically, the bottom line is: What do you think of it? If it looks OK to you, leave it; if you think it’s not brown enough, try again but mix a little XF-52 or something into the XF-62?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Sorry Allen, late to this party- even though it started on time I'm relieved to see it hit the pause button straight away, so I don't feel so bad. :tongue-out3:
Looking good bro, good to see the mojo so high .

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another note Allen, they tried wooden beds for a while & it looks like you got one. Most were steel. May influence your finishes.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Late afternoon Folks,

Allen. Been there done that lol. The paint looks good.
Thanks Bro! It's been too hot to really do anything else lately, including hairy stick. Wearing the Optivisor is also very limited in the heat...

Hey Bro, look'in good, but I think maybe you have too many sticks if no winch. Trans., e-brake, transfer case, & winch engagement.
A side note. Prime movers (2.5ton GMC short wheelbase) were equipped w/2 spares for additional front axle off road traction. All jimmydeucenahafs had extended front hubs to accommodate this feature but had only one spare mounted.
Another note Allen, they tried wooden beds for a while & it looks like you got one. Most were steel. May influence your finishes.
Thanks for the info, Paul. I just followed Tamiya-San's instructions with the levers and left off the one for the winch, part C5.

IMG_4773.JPG
Can't say why there is a double lever for part C14 either. I'm not too up on the deuce. As far as the wood bed, I think I will scratch it up with weathering and fill it with CITB. Maybe weather up the side rails a little too. Add some dust and you won't see the wood in the bed...

That’s always the question with colours like OD, dark yellow, etc. :smiling3: Zaloga once wrote a whole article about the real OD and various model paint colours for it in Military Modelling, and his conclusion was that Tamiya XF-62 came closest. However, that was about 25 years ago, and Tamiya changed the paint since — and if I’m not mistaken, then changed it again because of complaints that the new version was clearly too green. Couple this to the usual problems of saying anything actually useful about colours in photographs, especially ones viewed on computer screens, and basically, the bottom line is: What do you think of it? If it looks OK to you, leave it; if you think it’s not brown enough, try again but mix a little XF-52 or something into the XF-62?
Thank you Jakko! If the XF-62 was good enough for Cookie back then, it's good enough for me, as my bottle is at least 25 years old anyway! I guess it was all the years working with German RAL colors that threw me off. I think some weathering will do the trick...

Sorry Allen, late to this party- even though it started on time I'm relieved to see it hit the pause button straight away, so I don't feel so bad. :tongue-out3:
Looking good bro, good to see the mojo so high .
Thanks Neil! I'm trying to get back on track, as the Mojo is flying high. Prob is, our weather decided to get Summer like and the temps shot up to 30° C+. Living under the roof is a beatch, my friend...

Wet stuff looks good Allen.
Thank you Lee! Please send me some cool air so I can keep on 'Truckin' Buddy!!!

Today, it was cooler and I had hoped to shoot more paint and get things done. I had all the windows open to chill down the apartment, but every time I wanted to do something, it started to pour down rain. Close the windows, wait, try again, NOT, wait, open them up, prep, poured rain again, close them, repeat as aforementioned................Fergit it........maybe tomorrow.

I did manage to get one thing done today. I test fitted a middle shelf in one of my display cases to see how it would work out,

IMG_4781.JPG
It's not too bad, but needs some adjustments. The 2mm thick shelf needs to be 0.5cm wider and the support screws need to be moved further inwards on the sides. I have 10cm height under, and 9cm on top. Light weight models on top and heavier ones on the bottom will definitely work. The Panther has Friul tracks on it and the shelf would never be able to hold it...

Thanks for looking in and sorry for the late replies. More to come, weather depending!!!...

Prost
Allen