Andrew's 1/72 Airfix FW190 A-8 and F-8 'Wurger Double bill'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So top coat has now started. I'm trying to this freehand for the first time rather than using masking putty.

So first up is the RLM 75 'Grey violet'. I'll let this dry before doing the RLM 74.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

So just before we went away I managed to get the final paintwork job finished, with the topside green and then some other markings. Not easy trying to do the green freehand at this scale and so it's a bit blotchy in places......
:(

There are also a paint chips where I was testing the magnet idea before I put a varnish coat on, so I'll need to touch those up.....
:(

Although the pics aren't perfect, you can hopefully see that I've kept the red and yellow faded to tie in with the faded camo jobs....I think it would look a bit odd to have nice bright markings when the rest of the paintwork is faded.

I've also hand painted the lines on the spinners for change....thought I'd give it a go.....not super neat and I obviously need a lot more practice but as you'll see below not entirely unrealistic.

Bombs have also been painted. As usual there is quite a lot of semi-conflicting information about what colours and when but a seemingly well researched in-depth blog on the topic suggests that by the end of the war they would probably have been painted grey-beige RAL 7027; I've certainly seen another article stating that the AB250 should be that colour.....and so in for a penny, in for a pound.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

As you can see the real spinners were not always the nice neat things we portray....

Source: Our very own @stona

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice one Andrew. That's an interesting find by @stona

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Sorry mate I have missed this up till now but just had a catch up. Looking very good the paint work is very good.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent paintwork andrew , and dont stare at that pair of spinners for too long , it hypnotised me , I nearly wanted to build a ship !!!luckily I snapped out of it , I just want to do another fw190 now !!:dizzy::dizzy:

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice one Andrew. That's an interesting find by @stona
Andy,
Sorry mate I have missed this up till now but just had a catch up. Looking very good the paint work is very good.
That is a very good paint job. Certainly believable so well done.
Excellent paintwork andrew , and dont stare at that pair of spinners for too long , it hypnotised me , I nearly wanted to build a ship !!!luckily I snapped out of it , I just want to do another fw190 now !!:dizzy::dizzy:
Really nice job on that paintwork.

Thanks chaps the support very much appreciated!

Scottie - no need to apologise! I missed your 'berge' build after all!! :sad-face:

Steve - come from someone of your calibre I take your comments as a real compliment! And thanks again for the spinner pic....you sent it to back end of 2020!!

Tony - go for it! And thanks for the warning about the spinners and ships!:smiling5:

Thanks again!

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
OK chaps....so decals are on.....and as you may have clocked I've changed my original plans.

I had been planning to do and F-8 and an A-8 but have enough spares from the F-8 to convert the A-8 to an F-8, albeit it does have wrong canopy...just don't tell the Guild of Rivet Counters!
???

This meant I have changed the decal approach. In short, the F-8 was a full kit with full decal set but the A-8 was a starter kit so only had the main decals.

I had originally been planning to use AM decals for the F-8, plus all the original stencil decals, for a squadron based in the Netherlands. My wargaming is NWE 44-45 and Red 2 as depicted served on the Eastern Front. But that was before I bought the A-8 to originally do as a fighter.

Therefore, as the AM decals matched what the F-8/A-8 conversion bomb configuration will be, I have decided to use those on the conversation, and do Red 2 as depicted but play with history a bit and so it will be a Red 2 rather than the Red 2....again, don't tell the Guild of Rivet Counters!
???

I do have another full F-8 kit that I will do as Red 2 and another A-8 starter kit that will both be 'display' pieces. I will therefore only use the main Red 2 decals from this kit and save all the others, mainly stencils, for the 'display' A-8.

In short.....you'll only see main decals on the below. Hope that makes sense.

ATB

Andrew

PS....both planes have had the post decal protective top coat and so are looking a bit shiny!

PS....the eagle eyed will notice that the swastika tail decal on Red 2 is a bit small for a FW190...my fault as I wasn't paying attention to the instructions and chose the wrong size!

-----------------------------------------

Decals and more decals.

The AM decals were pretty good and as you will see from the close up even showing what in view when making them for this aircraft - see the sections within the red lines

Decals do bring a plane to life....even if it's not the full set!

Black 22

Red 2

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So, as hinted at in my Spitfire build, these have crossed the finish line.

As I explained previously these are for wargaming and so I have created a 'mounting' system from acrylic flight stands, steel washers and magnets. This obviously makes it easier to store when not needed.

As you will see below I have mounted five washers on each stand so the magnets have something to stick to. I did have to sand the corners on the square 'pegs' slightly, to create irregular octagons, so I could add the washers. These are held in place with superglue.

The stand tops are angled slightly so the planes can be placed in a dive, climb, or even a slight bank.

Below are a few taster shots, before I do the full suite of completed shots.

ACW as usual!!

Andrew

------------------------------------------------------------

The stand before I added the washers...as you can see a square 'tab'
(note that they still have the protective film on, hence looking very opaque)

Washers applied....just waiting for the stand glue to dry...

The magnet/washer 'attachment' points

A couple of 'in flight' shots

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice paintwork and good thinking with the magnets :thumb2: cheers