Andy T's C-47 Skytrain. Airfix, 1/72

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Here's my entry for this GB. I was really unsure what to build but this caught my eye :smiling3:

1000008167.jpg

The plan is a straightforward OOB construction as I have a few plates spinning right now, but I wanted to join in as a gesture of respect to those brave souls that were involved all those years ago.

It's bigger than I'd bargained for! Five light grey plastic sprue, a small clear one, and some decals for either a transport version or the d-day one that I'll be building.

1000008168.jpg

1000008169.jpg

1000008170.jpg

1000008171.jpg

It all seems nicely moulded and I'll include a few more detailed shots once I get under way.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Very nice Andy, but too small for my old peepers. I like this workhorse too and there is a 1/32 MPM resin kit of it in evilbay right now. Starting bid of € 949.00...Last week, it was € 1149.00, but the seller dropped the price because there were no bidders. Way too rich for my blood....and it would never fit in my spray booth!!!...

Prost
Allen, Living in a puptent...

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I really don't know how big it is Andy, but the price almost gave me a heart attack when I saw it. And as a starting price to boot...

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I really don't know how big it is Andy, but the price almost gave me a heart attack when I saw it. And as a starting price to boot...
I was going to buy a couple, but the size put me off.....

As if! :tears-of-joy:
If something like that were to turn up at the door I think divorce would be the least of my worries. She'd bury me in the back garden :surprised:
:smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In that scale it must be getting close to a metre wide!
Per Wikipedia, the real thing had a span of 29.11 m, so yep, not far short of a metre — call it 91 cm. And about 61 cm long at that, with the usual awkward aircraft shape. You’d have to build an extension to your house to put it … And this being resin, it would have to have reinforced foundations, I guess.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was going to buy a couple, but the size put me off.....

As if! :tears-of-joy:
If something like that were to turn up at the door I think divorce would be the least of my worries. She'd bury me in the back garden :surprised:
:smiling5:
At that size, who needs a coffin…. she could bury you in it Andy…..

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Better late than never, I've finally made a tentative start on this, putting together the cockpit and the area behind. The bulkheads aren't fixed to the floor just yet (for painting) but everything lined up really well.

I've also started doing something about the ejector marks in the fuselage sides.

1000008493.jpg

1000008494.jpg

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys. Yes Jim, it all seems very nicely moulded so far.

The interior is done and the fuselage closed up. With the doors shut you'll be able to see precious little inside so I didn't spend ages on it.

The crew were a similar disappointment to the ones in the Airfix Gannet I did a while ago. Absolutely no chance of fitting in their seats without major surgery - severe liposuction and foot amputation.

1000008509.jpg

1000008510.jpg

1000008511.jpg

The two halves and the belly section fitted together really well but I went OTT with tapes & clamps to ensure nothing moves while it sets up overnight.