Andy T's C-47 Skytrain. Airfix, 1/72

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Coming to gather really well Andy.
In 1986 I was lucky enough to be part of RIAt at RAF Fairford where one of the themes for the meet was a Dakota the other being Air - Air Tankers. They lined up all the C-47's on one side of the runway - there were quite a few. More people views the Dakotas than the tankers. Loverly aircraft and what was nice, many were still in use.
Really looking forward to seeing this come together. May have to consider this, (Dakota), as my first fixed wing build!

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice Andy. I built the Italeri one back in 1999 and enjoyed the build. Pilots look nice and convincing.
Thanks Lee. The pilots had very little definition which made painting a bit harder, but I'm happy given the scale and visibility of them.

Looking good Andy. Rattling along as usual :thumb2:
Thank you.

Zoë has bounced back remarkably well from her surgery, so being on hand in the next room has worked out perfectly for both of us.

The biggest issue we have is running out of vessels for all of the flowers that keep getting delivered!

May have to consider this, (Dakota), as my first fixed wing build!
It's turning out to be a great kit so far Doug, you could certainly do worse than picking this one.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Engines went together nicely, although not much can be seen with the cowls on

1000008531.jpg

Wings are on too. There's a separate piece for the root, a full top section, and a shorter lower part that marries up with the belly piece outboard of the engines. After trimming off a couple of (mis)alignment pins it all fitted together rather well, but needed some persuasion to stay in place. Thank goodness for clamps!

1000008529.jpg

As you can see I've also spot primed the main fuselage seams after sanding, to see if any further work might be needed. I normally use (lacquer) Mr Surfacer for that, but I've had a couple of sinkage issues it the past, probably from the solvents in it softening the glue joint which then show up slightly a day or so later.

This time I've used UMP acrylic primer (aka One Shot / Stynylrez). We'll see if that cures the problem.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Flappy bits at the back are now fitted so it's starting to take shape

View attachment 512714

And here it is with a (very dusty) spiritual successor. It's not just cars that have gotten much bigger over the years!

View attachment 512715
And I know which one I'd rather sit in.
(Clue - it wouldn't be the one with four engines).
Looking more and more C47ish Andy :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That looks really good Andy! You sure aren't wasting any time here. 1/72 is a bit too small for me and I really love the racing stripe down the top of the fusullier My friend. Prolly be done in a day or two, knowing you...

Great news about Zoe too! Please give her my best...

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Andy.

It's a shame Airfix have not updated their pilots for years. I now chop their feet off before painting given the number of fore problems I've had in the past.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The patient on the table with the clamps looks good as you do surgery looks like your whipping this into submission Andy.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My racing hero Smokey Yunick flew these over the Hump during WWII. Smokey quote, "ya don't race against other cars, ya against the rules".

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy, looking good mate. I really am very envious of your neat paint work.
And me of your incredible build details.

Thanks all, not much to report tonight as I've just been tidying a few seams and spot priming again.

Shouldn't be long before I'm on to my favourite part but I'm still toying with the painting plan. There's pros and cons to doing the invasion stripes before anything else but I'll probably not decide until the last minute!

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys.

I've fitted the engines and all of the windows. Some of them were a bit gappy so I wicked several coats of thinned down rocket 560 canopy glue in to hopefully seal them and reduce dusty overspray on their insides.

I'll put another coat of masking sol on the curved glazing later and it should be ready for primer (at least) tomorrow.

1000008572.jpg

1000008573.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Coming in late to comment as usual I am Andy. My humble apologise. I am envious of your neat approach which probably comes from years of spraying cars and dirt free preparation needed for the job. Mines always a mess and only camouflaged by the eventual paint job and weathering.
The pilots turned out good even with their soft detail...neat.

Cheers,
Wabble